Just learned a great trick for videos!

Gediphoto

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
OK, you all probably already know this, but for me - it came as a very pleasant surprise.

I've been for a long time wondering what happens when I edit an uploaded a video. I was a bit scared of doing it since it I thought it sends a message of insecurity to the algorithms and the edited video would lose ground.

But after I went to a YT talk with a Swedish YouTuber that over night got viral and got 100k+ subscribers within some months, he told us that he's constantly watching how his videos perform after he publish them and edits them if they perform poorly (mostly the thumbnail) after a few hours. The algorithm is apparently reacting positive to this change and continues to suggest the video to even more.

I was a bit surprised about this, but on the other hand, that's how the Google crawlers rank a webpage, if the webpage is "alive" and in constant change - it gets a higher ranking in the search results!

So, naturally - I tried it on some of my videos.

And well, for starters I started noticing the (big) channels I'm subscribing to are doing the same thing. Videos that were recommended to me and I didn't watch, were re-recommended after a while with another (often more click-bait'y image). And for my videos, well - It works!

Now, my videos are of course not high performant - If I get 100 views on a video, I'm kinda happy. But I tried changing the cover image on some low performing videos that had no new views in like 3-4 months, and whoa! Suddenly, people started watching them again. I also tried it on my most recent #Shorts that had like 11 views after a week - it's almost at 500 views now a few days after an edit.

So - apparently it's a good thing to edit your existing videos and see if they can perform even better.

/G