Just had an odd thought about Youtube search rankings and monetisation...

Commodore Grayum

Active Member
It just occurred to me that if Youtube gave higher search rankings to monetised videos over non-monetised ones, they'd make more money. Even very small monetised channels could be a decent source of revenue for them because there are so many of them.

Conversely, Youtube doesn't have much financial interest in non-monetised videos being found and watched. No ads, no money.

So the question is, does Youtube actually do this?
 
It makes sense to me. After all, it's all about the money.

Which of course leads to the second question... Should I monetise even though I don't get enough views to get any money out of it? I've been delaying monetising so that I'm not annoying people with ads that won't be making me a worthwhile amount of cash anyway. Maybe this is a bad strategy?
 
Someone asked about this a couple months ago and of course no one has any evidence since no one knows youtube's algorithm but the general consensus was that monetized videos don't get better search rankings. However, who knows, maybe it does.
 
Well I had a couple videos get to the top of searches before I ever monetized them, so that makes me think that this is not true. But in all honesty I don't see why YouTube wouldn't do this, seems only helpful for them. It would also cause more channels to want to monetize there videos, which just brings more money in for youtube lol.
 
I think the entire idea with search results, is that they want more channels to be found. Potential revenue makers. Even if you're not partnered, your videos have a good chance of appearing in search results as long as you're able to properly use SEO to your advantage.

The idea with having a level playing ground is that, they want to increase user activity. If someone is searching for a tutorial on "How to solve a rubix cube" they're going to show the most informational video on how to do so, based on how well the video was received. Even if the video isn't necessarily monetized, the idea is that as long as users are finding what they want, they can lure them into watching other actually monetized videos. Hence the suggested videos.

If the idea is "we want to keep people coming back to YouTube", then showing them the most accurate results, monetized or not is going to be the way to do so.

This is just my take on the entire thing. Could be entirely wrong, could have a bit of truth to it. I dunno. I don't work at Google :P
 
If the idea is "we want to keep people coming back to YouTube", then showing them the most accurate results, monetized or not is going to be the way to do so.

That's a good point. I guess they'd have reasons for doing it either way - hard to know which one they'd class as more important.
 
I think the entire idea with search results, is that they want more channels to be found. Potential revenue makers. Even if you're not partnered, your videos have a good chance of appearing in search results as long as you're able to properly use SEO to your advantage.

The idea with having a level playing ground is that, they want to increase user activity. If someone is searching for a tutorial on "How to solve a rubix cube" they're going to show the most informational video on how to do so, based on how well the video was received. Even if the video isn't necessarily monetized, the idea is that as long as users are finding what they want, they can lure them into watching other actually monetized videos. Hence the suggested videos.

If the idea is "we want to keep people coming back to YouTube", then showing them the most accurate results, monetized or not is going to be the way to do so.

This is just my take on the entire thing. Could be entirely wrong, could have a bit of truth to it. I dunno. I don't work at Google :p
What if someone looks up a tutorial on how to do something, and the first video isn't really what they wanted, so they go to the next video. Now they're watching two videos instead of one because the "lower quality" video was higher up on the list. I don't think youtube really does this honestly, but it's like food for thought lol
 
Back
Top