Is writing a script for a video necessary ?

TimberwolfMKIII

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish and what your video focus is. I will use some scenarios from my personal experience as an example without promoting any video specifically.

When I do Let's play style for games I will not have a script. I want to show everything as I experience for the first time with the viewer. If I am running around in panic, I want that to be my real reaction, not scripted. I also feel like that makes it more natural and enjoyable in the grand scheme.

For things where I am going to be reviewing or giving my impression on something (product, beta, game, concept, cool thing, etc) that I will have some ideas scripted down so I have talking points to use. This will prevent me from rambling on and on and keep everything short and concise.

I hope this helps!

David Perez

I've Got It
Reaction score
Probly depends on what you do like in a gaming videos you dont need it

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I find writing scripts a fundamental part of the video making process because other than avoid ramblings which is even worse for people like me that are not native english speakers like me it influences also the rest of the process, like knowing what to record or what sources to use.

HiMyNameIsDan

#crumbs
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Depends. Personally I mix it up for different video's. When I do something like game reviews, I write it out because I want to make sure I get all my points across to the viewer about the game I'm talking about. If I'm just talking to the camera though, I don't script it as I don't want to look robotic but editing is important here, good snappy editing, get rid of the 'uhhhhh' and 'mmmmm's.

Oscar J Stones

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Cartoonist, Animator, Other
To repeat what everyone else has said. It really depends on what you want from your videos, a natural feel or more definitely entertaining. More rambling or more structured. As well as the type of video you're making. I myself ALWAYS script videos. Mostly because I have an insane ability to incoherently ramble

oscarflowers

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
can you speak to a stranger for 5 minutes without awkward silences? if yes, a script won't be needed unless you are dedicated and want to stay on a particular topic.

ZakDTV

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I find a script to be necessary for my videos. I do daily interesting news and a lot of time what I am reporting on is very new discoveries or tech. I use the process of writing my script as my way to learn the subject matter before I present it. I bullet out the important stuff and then when I am in front of the camera I will use what I have learned to discuss the topic and hit the bullets in order to keep my presentation coherent. I never hit it wqord for word but one day when I make some money I do plan on buying a teleprompter for when I have to quote someone so I dont have to look away in order to read it while I am recording. That works for me now depending on the style of videos you are doing you may or may not need one. Anything that relies on a reaction shouldnt have a script. Like it was said before gaming, unboxing reaction or even pranks(if you script a prank that is called a play or skit, not a prank) Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck and enjoy your youtube journey!

MostShockingEP

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yes and NO

Yes - if you want to make a video on some topic that you do not remember all facts or your video is very long, then it is very useful to have a script.

No - if you make lets say long vlogs and speak from your mind :)

Minikinart

Reaction score
For me personally I need a script because it's important that I give clear instructions in my tutorials, that everything is correct, that I don't miss out any important steps and so on. I usually write it down when I have the whole process in my head and record it pretty fast but I need to take more time scripting my videos in the future. I would love to have more chatty videos I really dislike silence (despite background music) in the middle of the video.

But yes if you're doing let's plays or reaction videos you shouldn't have to script anything but for any sort of reviews or tutorials or anything you want to have planned a bit more and make sure you don't forget something then I definitely suggest scripting.

Reactions: User_78298