Is it Wrong when YouTubers use Their Kids in Videos?

JV Trammell

A Filmmaker/Vlogger attempting to make you laugh.
Hey!

Big YouTubers like RomaAtwood, Shaytards, and others use their kids in their videos all the time. But have you ever thought that it might not be the best idea? Casey Neistat mentioned that he wouldn't show his daughter's face anymore so she could grow up with a normal life.

Do you think Tubers should let their kids grow up and decide, not do it at all, or do you think it's totally okay?

Hey!

Big YouTubers like RomaAtwood, Shaytards, and others use their kids in their videos all the time. But have you ever thought that it might not be the best idea? Casey Neistat mentioned that he wouldn't show his daughter's face anymore so she could grow up with a normal life.

Do you think Tubers should let their kids grow up and decide, not do it at all, or do you think it's totally okay?

I honestly believe that is up to the parents, and of corse as parents they tend to keep the kids best intentions in mind. Also owning a famous youtube channel is like being a celebrity in the sense that nothing you will ever do or have is private so no matter what your kid is never truly out of the system. I personally believe that if both the kids and parents mutually benefit from being in videos than there is no problem.

When it comes to kids, it is 100% up to the parents to decide what is best for their kids and the family. As long as all is ethical and legal, it is no one else's business to tell parents how to raise their kids or what activities their kids should or should not be involved in. End of the day, Yt is just another entertainment outlet. One can ask the question, should kids be in TV shows, live performances, singing contests on TV, advertisements from Kmart, movies, etc. Should kids be on Playschool, Sesame Street, Disney channel, Nickelodeon? Yt is just one outlet out of countless others where kids perform.

When it comes to kids, it is 100% up to the parents to decide what is best for their kids and the family. As long as all is ethical and legal, it is no one else's business to tell parents how to raise their kids or what activities their kids should or should not be involved in. End of the day, Yt is just another entertainment outlet. One can ask the question, should kids be in TV shows, live performances, singing contests on TV, advertisements from Kmart, movies, etc. Should kids be on Playschool, Sesame Street, Disney channel, Nickelodeon? Yt is just one outlet out of countless others where kids perform.
I 100% agree that it's up to the parents, and I don't believe someone should tell them otherwise. I wanted to frame this question more like 'If you were in the situation', not me telling other people what to do. That said, I think there is absolutely an argument to be made that putting kids in our videos that millions of people are watching could be potentially negative on the kid's life.

I genuinely know people that absolutely do not want to be in the spotlight ever, so there could be a possibility that one day a kid could grow up and regret being in the videos because people recognize them. So i decided to see if "Giving your child a shot at anonymity" is something people in this Forum think is important for kids. I don't necessarily think it's right or wrong.

Also YouTube is definitely an outlet just like everything else so I would pose the same questions for those other platforms as well. Although I would say signing your child up for an audition that he/she is interested in, is a bit different than just putting your kids in your videos because you can. Especially since in the other platforms their usually playing a character or doing something that's not super personal, not just being filmed during their 'at-home' lives.

I find having kids in videos to be relatively whatever (at least in normal cases, things like Roman Atvood's "I blew my kid up prank" no matter how fake is just disgusting), it's a lot better than say... "strip ________ with my GF" or "touch my _________ with my GF" where they plaster half naked thumbnails and make it clickbait over 9000, that I find ridiculously desperate for attention. Kids are just kids and they do nothing crazily over the top.

I've been a long time watcher of the shaytards and don't really see anything wrong about it. It's not like the discipline them on camera or anything.

if the kids having fun then sure why not. If they are on the edge of being tortured for views you have to draw the line (the guy that gave his kids laxitives is an example of how horrible some parents can be just to make money)
small pranks are ok, and only the parents know how much their child can take.

If the kids want to and the parents want to then fine. If the kids don't want to or don't understand and the parents do it anyway then I think it's a problem.

And if the kids want to and the parents don't want them in it, then like my mom always said, life's not fair.

it isn't fine when the parents use sexual innuendo's in titles or thumbnails, basically attracting sexually motivated views, sex sells as they say.
so sneaky, cheeky little words that can suggest more then the topic at hand, sneaky thumbs with what could be interpreted sexual like girl, mouth open about to put food in mouth, basic sexual exploitation that we see adults doing on the cover of p**n mag's, parents do to their children's video thumbnails.
perverse way to get views and exploit an un-aware child, just wait until them children grow up and see the thumbs as adults.

I won't go into those bath time video's, what a terrible invasion of a childs privacy, they don't understand the concept of being made public property.

Back