Is it okay to use a simple editing program?

Brix

Reaction score
I used to use Davinci Resolve and Camtasia which are more simple editing programs but recently i got after effects. i just feel like it's a bit complicated and takes more time and work to use it but i don't want to use something else if after effects improves my videos...

PopsLetsPlay

UBER Gamer
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
To my experience..different video editors basically just offer better functionality and different effects? If you creating content that uses a ton of effects, then After Effects would be great for you! If not, then i wouldn't bother.

Reactions: Brix

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Hey, I use Windows Movie Maker, and I'd say it's done me some justice. Hasn't allowed to me unleash my full creativity, but it works. Just like a cheap cellphone compared to an iPhone. It does its intended purpose.

Brix

Reaction score
Hey, I use Windows Movie Maker, and I'd say it's done me some justice. Hasn't allowed to me unleash my full creativity, but it works. Just like a cheap cellphone compared to an iPhone. It does its intended purpose.
Yeah, Windows movie maker can work. I recommend Davinci Resolve for a free editing program though, it's good for the price ;)

Reactions: Dewmonic Abyss

DJBenz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There's absolutely nothing wrong with using the simplest tools when you're making simple videos. Don't make life more complicated than it has to be. In any case, After Effects is a compositor/effects tool, not a video editor (although you can timeline edit with it). If you wanted an editor for the Adobe suite of tools then you'd be looking at Premiere Pro.

But like I said; if you're comfortable using the tools you currently use and you're happy with the results then why change?

Reactions: Brix and Reetae27

Reetae27

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm a technical Luddite AND don't have the pocket change to afford premium editing software, so I make all my stuff on Windows Movie Maker, and I honestly think it works fine. I mean, I do have to save the thing every five seconds because it's prone to crashing, but it's free and convenient for me, and that's the most important thing. If you're comfortable with the software you're using, it'll show through in your work, so to mirror what others have said, don't feel like you have to use something fancy. Use whatever you feel best compliments your ability to make cool content, regardless of what it is -- and if that happens to be After Effects, then the growing pains of learning how to do it might be worth it for you. You do you :)

Heather White

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Absolutely. There are even famous YouTubers that still film with an iPhone and edit with iMovie. If your content is good quality and your editing software is updated, it is totally fine! I have managed to create some great videos with very simple editing techniques.

TwoWords

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
If you're looking to edit, then the simplest of editing apps will do just that, so don't feel like you need to use something else because others are.
I only ever moved on from Movie Maker because I wanted to do other things with my edits.