I'll review your channel if you review mine.

JayBayBay

I've Got It
I'm trying to actually do something with my music channel now. I have a bunch of old videos that aren't very good, but I'm starting to make frequent videos with good quality. I could use peoples input on songs to cover, if I should do tutorials etc. I'm not looking for a review on my singing abilities or my presence in my videos. Just friendly input. I'll stop by your channels and review them too if you'd like. :)
 
I am not the one who should be criticizing other peoples singing, since well it is me, so that says a lot.
But I had a listen to the one in your signature and I heard a few other ones from you before. Yo sing really good, you defiantly got the chops for that.
If I had to say something, it might either because of post, or mic quality, sometimes the background track and the vocals over lap a little in that "resonant" way, which hits the ear a little.
It might be something to do with balancing of the stereo channels. For example, I balance my vocals and lead guitar to around 30-40 each channel from center to right and left, and I put the high parts around 65-75 both sides, and because I run acoustic stuff, i usually dub the acoustic guitar, remove the high frequencies so its only bass-esque thing left and put that around 80-90.
That way you end up with this effect, that the vocals come from the center, rhythm a little bit to the side, and bass envelopes everything.
I do not know if that is the case, but I am sure it is a minor thing which can be sorted out and again, the critique comes from me, and I am the last person on the planet who has to be giving tips here.
Rather than that, it is really pleasant to the ear, and I was always a firm believer that if it sounds nice and is pleasant than it doesnt matter if its "theoretically" right or wrong.

Again, keep in mind, that what I say should be taken with a grain of salt, and maybe someone with more experience can tell you more.
I just thought I would share my opinion and hopefully this is what you were looking for.

Cheers.

EDIT: completely forgot this part. In the second that is in your signature, I can hear that the opening is a MIDI I am guessing format?
Try finding, I am pretty sure there are out there emulators which might help you out, or in post, smooth them out, because sometimes high frequency MIDI sounds, can really hit the ear and sound artificial and digital.
Sounds less like an instrument and more like a Gameboy or something.
I am pretty sure you can screw around with reverb and some compressor, which will make it sounds a little more natural, since usually digital MIDI note, can really stand out.
 
I am not the one who should be criticizing other peoples singing, since well it is me, so that says a lot.
But I had a listen to the one in your signature and I heard a few other ones from you before. Yo sing really good, you defiantly got the chops for that.
If I had to say something, it might either because of post, or mic quality, sometimes the background track and the vocals over lap a little in that "resonant" way, which hits the ear a little.
It might be something to do with balancing of the stereo channels. For example, I balance my vocals and lead guitar to around 30-40 each channel from center to right and left, and I put the high parts around 65-75 both sides, and because I run acoustic stuff, i usually dub the acoustic guitar, remove the high frequencies so its only bass-esque thing left and put that around 80-90.
That way you end up with this effect, that the vocals come from the center, rhythm a little bit to the side, and bass envelopes everything.
I do not know if that is the case, but I am sure it is a minor thing which can be sorted out and again, the critique comes from me, and I am the last person on the planet who has to be giving tips here.
Rather than that, it is really pleasant to the ear, and I was always a firm believer that if it sounds nice and is pleasant than it doesnt matter if its "theoretically" right or wrong.

Again, keep in mind, that what I say should be taken with a grain of salt, and maybe someone with more experience can tell you more.
I just thought I would share my opinion and hopefully this is what you were looking for.

Cheers.

EDIT: completely forgot this part. In the second that is in your signature, I can hear that the opening is a MIDI I am guessing format?
Try finding, I am pretty sure there are out there emulators which might help you out, or in post, smooth them out, because sometimes high frequency MIDI sounds, can really hit the ear and sound artificial and digital.
Sounds less like an instrument and more like a Gameboy or something.
I am pretty sure you can screw around with reverb and some compressor, which will make it sounds a little more natural, since usually digital MIDI note, can really stand out.
Thanks for your feedback. No, I don't use MIDI, but my keyboard can sound fake sometimes. I also forgot to smooth out the frequency in my last video (oops) I'm looking in to getting a new keyboard, because mine sounds like a toy :/ I'll review your channel if you'd like.
 
Thanks for your feedback. No, I don't use MIDI, but my keyboard can sound fake sometimes. I also forgot to smooth out the frequency in my last video (oops) I'm looking in to getting a new keyboard, because mine sounds like a toy :/ I'll review your channel if you'd like.
Well that explains that. Yeah those things aside you are fine, from what I can see. :)

I am fine with being ignorant, thank you though :D
I am not really having a day today, where I think I can handle criticism of any sort :D

I usually can handle criticism really well, and I am okay with being wrong. But then there are days, when even if there is a little bit negative stuff, I will just start throwing things into the monitor. So, we dont want that :D[DOUBLEPOST=1392579526,1392577130][/DOUBLEPOST]By the way, sorry for two posts in a row, but can I ask you how you record your keyboard?

Of course if you don't mind answering that.
 
Well that explains that. Yeah those things aside you are fine, from what I can see. :)

I am fine with being ignorant, thank you though :D
I am not really having a day today, where I think I can handle criticism of any sort :D

I usually can handle criticism really well, and I am okay with being wrong. But then there are days, when even if there is a little bit negative stuff, I will just start throwing things into the monitor. So, we dont want that :D[DOUBLEPOST=1392579526,1392577130][/DOUBLEPOST]By the way, sorry for two posts in a row, but can I ask you how you record your keyboard?

Of course if you don't mind answering that.
I have a cord that connects from my keyboard straight to my mixer and then records onto audacity. I guess you could say it's MIDI, but I don't use a MIDI cord and I can't edit or change up the sounds. It's just a simple guitar cable that works for my keyboard also. :)
 
I have a cord that connects from my keyboard straight to my mixer and then records onto audacity. I guess you could say it's MIDI, but I don't use a MIDI cord and I can't edit or change up the sounds. It's just a simple guitar cable that works for my keyboard also. :)
I do not know this for keyboard exactly, but I know this for guitars.
When it comes to electric guitars, you never record them directly, since yes you get a cleaner sound, but you get a digitized sound.
What I did on "Apache" and "Wonderful Tonight" or "Nessun Dorma", since I used an electric guitar, was run the guitar standard into an amp and then into a speaker. Then I placed a mic in front of a speaker and the mic into a mixer and into a pc.

It sounds complex but it is not. You will end up with a higher, more real sound always. The signal from the instrument is not design to interface with a pc, but with a speaker, and microphones are designed to capture sound, you see what I am getting out.

If I suggest, try hooking your keyboard to a set of speakers, do not know if you will need an amp for that, and then try capturing the sound through a mic, which is placed directly in front of the speakers, which goes to the mixer and into a pc.

It is more hassle, and you might end up with more "white sound", but you will defiantly, get a better quality.
Since when you route directly, most of the times, you loose stuff like sustain, and a lot of tones get cut off as well. Try connecting your keyboard if you can to a good amplified (if the keyboard needs that) and then to a good sound system.

Also, if your recordings are done in Audacity /slow clap. That is amazing, since form what I used it is an incredibly bare bones software. Impressive job. :)

Think of it as recording an acoustic guitar, you will always try to capture it with a mic for the authentic sound. The same principle applies to everything else.

Instruments are designed to output audible sound, and that is a little different from the sound you capture, hence where the mics come on.

Sorry for the wall of text by the way :P
 
I do not know this for keyboard exactly, but I know this for guitars.
When it comes to electric guitars, you never record them directly, since yes you get a cleaner sound, but you get a digitized sound.
What I did on "Apache" and "Wonderful Tonight" or "Nessun Dorma", since I used an electric guitar, was run the guitar standard into an amp and then into a speaker. Then I placed a mic in front of a speaker and the mic into a mixer and into a pc.

It sounds complex but it is not. You will end up with a higher, more real sound always. The signal from the instrument is not design to interface with a pc, but with a speaker, and microphones are designed to capture sound, you see what I am getting out.

If I suggest, try hooking your keyboard to a set of speakers, do not know if you will need an amp for that, and then try capturing the sound through a mic, which is placed directly in front of the speakers, which goes to the mixer and into a pc.

It is more hassle, and you might end up with more "white sound", but you will defiantly, get a better quality.
Since when you route directly, most of the times, you loose stuff like sustain, and a lot of tones get cut off as well. Try connecting your keyboard if you can to a good amplified (if the keyboard needs that) and then to a good sound system.

Also, if your recordings are done in Audacity /slow clap. That is amazing, since form what I used it is an incredibly bare bones software. Impressive job. :)

Think of it as recording an acoustic guitar, you will always try to capture it with a mic for the authentic sound. The same principle applies to everything else.

Instruments are designed to output audible sound, and that is a little different from the sound you capture, hence where the mics come on.

Sorry for the wall of text by the way :p
ah, well I don't have speakers or a sound system so that won't work :( I just have to make do with my one mic and small 4 usb mixer for the time being.
 
ah, well I don't have speakers or a sound system so that won't work :( I just have to make do with my one mic and small 4 usb mixer for the time being.
Well have a look what outputs you have on the keyboard, because maybe any speaker can work, even a computers, you never know.
But if not, well sorry for wasting your time :/

By the way, I got everything sorted out for myself, so its all good. So if your offer of reviewing a channel is still up, I would actually take you op on it.

Would be interesting to see, what a person who is actually good at what they do, has to say.
 
Last edited:
Wooooah, you can sing! :O

What I'd change about your channel is definitely your banner. It looks quite "Paint-ish" at the moment if you understand what I mean. The videos recorded in your bedroom definitely look better than the one where you're standing outside, that looked a bit awkward to be honest. Also, maybe add a few things to your homepage, it looks kind of empty now. I think if you'd do that and change the banner, your channel would look a lot more appealing already!

But I'm pretty sure that your channel will grow if you just keep uploading new videos consistently, because there's nothing wrong with the quality.
 
Back
Top