I have an accent, and I want to start a youtube channel, do I have a chance?

BoxForAFox

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Everyone has an accent, but as long as whatever language your videos will be in, people can understand what you're saying, you'll be fine.

I feel people are more inclined to watch YouTubers that have a different accent to them, anyway. For example, as an Australian, I prefer to watch people who have an accent that differs from my own.

cheynooo_

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
i have an accent as well. as long as your viewers understand you, you should be good.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi,
I want to start a YouTube channel, but I'm not an English native speaker. I speak English pretty good, but I have an accent while I'm talking. I'm a Hebrew native speaker, which means I have a Hebrew accent (an accent of Gal Gadot style), and I'd like to know what do u think? do I have any chance?
Thanks!
So I'm someone with an accent (British so no language barriers for me) and it has certainly helped me with getting a bit of an audience but an accent or nice voice alone isn't enough to carry a channel you need engaging and entertaining content. Honestly I suggest only starting if you have an idea on what you actually want to do and how you're gonna have an influence on any audience you gain, wether that be to entertain, educate or inspire. Having a nice voice while certainly an advantage is not enough by itself since there's plenty of people out there who sound good you gotta do your best to stand out. Though gotta be said I know some of my audience only comes to listen to my voice so it does help. :D
In terms of not being a native speaker that's usually fine a lot of creators I watch aren't english natively so long as you are able to speak clearly you'll do well since being well spoken with a non native accent is often seen as a good thing and can help with channel growth. Some well known examples would include Pewdiepie He's Swedish.

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
So long as people can understand you when you're talking, you'll be fine. I also agree that having an accent will make you unique and stand out from all the others.
That's exactly what motivated me too, being one of those with a heavy accent.

Reactions: Crown

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Your accent is a benefit.. It's what make you you! If your accent stands out it makes you more memorable. Your voice/face etc are your brand! If you're making good content that's the only thing that matters to people. Thats the great thing about Youtube.. It's a great leveller -anybody making good content can do well.

Jimmy21

Reaction score
it depends on the content and how thick the accent is. I follow channels that the creators that have british and scottish accents and I enjoy their content. I come across "how to fix your phone" or something like that and the author will have a thick indian accent and i'll immediately the back button and look for another video. I find that accent very hard to follow what they are saying. Maybe its just because their accent is so thick.

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
People love accents. As long as you speak English well enough that people can easily understand what you are saying, then it should be all good!

Reactions: evnanonymous