I got a copyright strike!

CuriousBrain

Reaction score
So I got a copyright strike, not on this channel but on my second channel. I post one hour loops of songs and lyrics videos. So before I upload any videos containing songs I would check "Music Policies" to see if I could use that particular song.

So I have over 40 videos with no problems and I get a comment asking me to upload a one hour loop of "Adventure Of A Lifetime by coldplay" so I go over to "Music Policies" and check if I can use it and it says I can't use "Adventure Of A Lifetime by coldplay" , but I can use "Adventure Of A Lifetime (Matoma Remix) by coldplay"
so I uploaded a one hour loop of "Adventure Of A Lifetime (Matoma Remix)".

After having the video up for sometime it got taken down and I got a copyright strike :(

RichGuitarGamer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Ahh! This is sad!...you could contest this strike, as you used the remix of the coldplay song, btw are you monetising this video?

CuriousBrain

Reaction score
Only thing I can do is make a counter-notification, by making a counter-notification I should be prepared to go to court according to YouTube,I don't want to do that.

The owners of the song monetize the video, I don't earn anything from any of my videos.
Which is completely fine as it's their songs.

I created that channel to help people that want to listen to songs repeatedly for an hour or so because YouTube doesn't have a replay button.
I get positive comments which encourage me to make more.

That channel gets more than 3000 views in 48 hours and has more than 45 videos.What sucks the most is that I basically have to create a new account and have to leave that account because YouTube doesn't allow you to post videos longer than 15 minutes because I got a strike.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Only thing I can do is make a counter-notification, by making a counter-notification I should be prepared to go to court according to YouTube,I don't want to do that.

The owners of the song monetize the video, I don't earn anything from any of my videos.
Which is completely fine as it's their songs.

I created that channel to help people that want to listen to songs repeatedly for an hour or so because YouTube doesn't have a replay button.
I get positive comments which encourage me to make more.

That channel gets more than 3000 views in 48 hours and has more than 45 videos.What sucks the most is that I basically have to create a new account and have to leave that account because YouTube doesn't allow you to post videos longer than 15 minutes because I got a strike.
The chances of them taking you to court are slim. If you create another account, and YouTube connects that account with you, it will also be feature-restricted. If I were you, I'd file the counter notification, say the song came from YouTube's Free Library, and you are allowed to use it as long as you don't monetize it.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The music policies library only shows what the current Content-ID setting is for that song by the owner. However, IFPI is an organization that is almost militaristic in their war on piracy and they don't use Content-ID. In my experience they only use DMCA takedowns for any videos they find that use content by artists they represent. They must have their own bot that scans recent uploads because they find it within hours of uploading. I've read stories of them taking down stuff uploaded by the original artist before. So if the song you upload is by any of the artists they represent, whatever it says in the music policies library won't apply to what IFPI does.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
The music policies library only shows what the current Content-ID setting is for that song by the owner. However, IFPI is an organization that is almost militaristic in their war on piracy and they don't use Content-ID. In my experience they only use DMCA takedowns for any videos they find that use content by artists they represent. They must have their own bot that scans recent uploads because they find it within hours of uploading. I've read stories of them taking down stuff uploaded by the original artist before. So if the song you upload is by any of the artists they represent, whatever it says in the music policies library won't apply to what IFPI does.
It looks as though unlike the smaller rights management organizations, IFPI is a so-called "umbrella organization" or even a type of Guild with thousands of labels and companies as members. They do indeed have their own bots from what I am seeing. The question is: would they be willing to go after a single YouTuber in court, when the cases I am seeing reported on their site involve major sites and social networks who in their opinion are flouting copyright law?

The OP must use his own judgement here. Caution may be best.

Last edited:

CuriousBrain

Reaction score
I thought I could use it without a problem if I it says it's "viewable worldwide", after researching I found out I can't use a song that says viewable worldwide.The music policies are pretty much useless for me to see if I could use a song as I can get a strike.

Why doesn't IFPI stop going around striking videos and have the videos with copyright material blocked by youtube by content ID match? I wonder.

I also emailed IFPI saying I thought I could use it as it says "viewable worldwide" and it was a misunderstanding by me and if they could retract the claim, but they just reply the same things they reply to everyone that got a copyright strike (I have found this email many times posted by users that got copyright strike by IFPI)

Thanks for everyone that replied to this thread.