I dont understand this "copyright tag" in wikimedia commons

Ein Buch in 7 Minuten

Reaction score
Hello,
i wanna use an image of charles darwin in a book summary.
Und the public domain image at wikimedia commons is this sentence:

Public domain works must be out of copyright in both the United States and in the source country of the work in order to be hosted on the Commons. If the work is not a U.S. work, the file must have an additional copyright tag indicating the copyright status in the source country.

Are they reffering to the rules of the image upload at their site so it doesnt have anything to do with me? Or does that mean i have to include some sort of tag in MY video?

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think it's implying that if you use this image in a video/project outside of the US you must include the copyright status of the image in YOUR country. If you are inside the United States then you have nothing to worry about. If you are outside you must include the rightful tags for the United States, and the country you reside within. Hope I was of some help.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Yes, it was helpful. What i just find weird is, that it says "in order to be hosted on the commons". That sounds like "in order to be uploaded HERE"
You are absolutely correct. If it were the way @Sladee was stating, you would need to take everything you grab from the Wikimedia Commons and copyright-test it for the country you lived in before you even knew whether or not it was legal to use.

Hmmm...perhaps you should go ahead and do that anyway? Or play it safe and pay to license stock photographs from a reputable but affordable outlet.

Reactions: Sladee

Ein Buch in 7 Minuten

Reaction score
Well i know that i am allowed to use it in my country, because the picture is so old that the copyright expired. I just wonder if i have to put that tag there.
But the words "copyright tag" link to a wikipedia page that explains how to tag uploaded images on THEIR site.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yes, it was helpful. What i just find weird is, that it says "in order to be hosted on the commons". That sounds like "in order to be uploaded HERE"
I think it is saying that, as in don't worry about the copyright in your country because we only upload images that are non-copyright/public-domain worldwide.

Reactions: UKHypnotist