I don't get enough subscribers I deserve.

Parsafari

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Animator
ok so, I'm a game developer and I'm uploading videos for nearly a year now. I spend between 1-2 weeks on each of my videos and they are very high quality and entertaining videos. but despite the fact that my videos are very good I only got 300 subs in 10 months meanwhile a 9 year old's fortnite channel gets 2k subs in a month. I also participated in parashockX's animation contest and I lost because I don't have the money to buy a good drawing tablet and you can't make animations with a mouse. now I'm stuck with no money , no subs , no hope , no motivation and no way to ever succeed. what do I do?

Ater

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
As a YouTuber you never deserve subscribers you have to work very hard for them and even if you do that there's no guarantee that you will make it and get a lot of subscribers. Personally to me it took about 2.5 years to reach 1000 subscribers and it was not until I understood that even due I thought my videos was good that doesn't mean every one else does. There was a lot of larger more popular channels inside my niche that apparently others found to be better than mine so my videos disappeared behind the videos from larger channels. Understanding this I could niche down to a less competitive sub niche where my videos where actually good enough to get noticed and grab some traction. That's when my channel started to grow and while 1-1000 took 2.5 years 1000-2000 only took about 9 months.

I can tell you that for each gaming channel you notice blow up there are probably 1000 that don't get any where at all until the creator finally give up.

Last edited:

Dragonstar89

Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Gamer
Unless you get viral multiple times, its a war of attrition. I had an old lets play video blow up that got me a large quantity of the subscribers I still have today. After coming back from being absent for about 5ish years from the channel I started as a kid, I've started to make and upload content frequently of multiple types. Given that my channel has only 237 subs at the time of writing this, getting 100+ views on a could majority of my new stuff is good, and that's what you have to think about. I managed to get 19 new subscribers, but only in a couple weeks.

There's also your content to consider. I'm not sure what you make specifically, but saying you're a game developer makes me guess its tutorials or videos showing off game development stuff, which is interesting to a lot of people but a lot of people already have their venues, y'know? All you can do is keep working on it. My current goal is to upload and stream for at least a year, and see if its worth it.

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
no hope , no motivation and no way to ever succeed. what do I do?
With that attitude you are guaranteed to fail.
A perspective adjustment is required.

"Commitment is the enemy of resistance, for it is the serious promise to press on, to get up, no matter how many times you are knocked down." – David McNally

cbpayne

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
If you do not get the subscribers that you think you deserve, then that simply means not many of those who view your videos think they are good enough for them to want to be notified of when you upload new videos.

Hopeless Insomniac

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Musician
ok so, I'm a game developer and I'm uploading videos for nearly a year now. I spend between 1-2 weeks on each of my videos and they are very high quality and entertaining videos. but despite the fact that my videos are very good I only got 300 subs in 10 months meanwhile a 9 year old's fortnite channel gets 2k subs in a month. I also participated in parashockX's animation contest and I lost because I don't have the money to buy a good drawing tablet and you can't make animations with a mouse. now I'm stuck with no money , no subs , no hope , no motivation and no way to ever succeed. what do I do?
I understand how this post might be perceived based on the title of this thread, however after reading your description it sounds to me like less of a case of entitlement and more like you are at the climax of frustration. It is hard to put so much time and dedication into something you care about and see that it hasn't quite gained the traction that you expected or hoped for. However, I do agree that you really need to shift your perspective if you want to find enjoyment in being a creator.
In the grand scheme of things a year on this platform is NOT a lot of time to turn into a giant success. That fortnight kid is an exception not a rule. That being said, I too can't help but compare myself to others in this way and let me tell you it is NOT productive for you. Of course look to others who are doing similar things to you, and doing them well, and learn from them but try not to get stuck in this mindset of comparison.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to gain subscribers and views. But when you get so hyper focused on that aspect of this medium you lose sight of what should be the driving factor of why you create. Which is why I think so many channels whose only goal is to get views die out so quickly, because the second that isn't what happens (as it is often not in the beginning) they don't have the motivation.
I would really suggest reevaluating why you want to make these videos. I understand, as I'm sure many do, the frustration you are experiencing but it is a mindset that only you can get yourself out of.
Best of Luck!

Reactions: LandyVlad

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I had 3 failed YT channels before this one. None had more than 100 subs and 10k views. I worked on each one of those on average for a year. That's 3 years, that's 10% of my entire life, where those channels consumed a ton of my time and headspace and hopes and dreams. Heck, even this current channel would probably end up the same if I didn't make radical changes to everything, from videos themselves to the entire system required to make them visible and recommended to people across the platform.

What you think and feel clearly isn't what other people think and feel and, as much as YT success does require a bit of luck, after a year of doing what you're doing, it's clearly not working, it's time to re-evaluate and change course.

Change your mindset first, you are in a table-flip mode, that will get you nowhere. Second, change your style, your delivery, heck, change your topics and see what happens. A lot of breakthroughs happen "on accident", but those accidents only happen when you make significant changes to anything and everything you're doing. In other words, start experimenting. Third, invest some time into understanding YT as a platform - the algorithm, what other channels are doing, what your competitors are up to. Do not be afraid to flip everything upside down, change your video lengths, your thumbnails, your video structure, your way of talking, your recording setup if you're doing camera work, everything...

All of this info is available for free on YT itself, you don't even have to pay anything, you just have to be willing and open to different ideas, learning and changing whatever you're doing wrong or sub-optimally.

Good luck and always keep uploading.

Reactions: sanitary103

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would use your game dev knowledge to fill a demand to learn about certain topics in that niche. Your video explaining post processing seemed like it did okay and it ranks well too. Sure it didn't gain fortnite views, but game dev videos aren't going to get the same views as fortnite, it has a narrower audience. That's an evergreen video so it will gain more views over time. I like the how is it possible video you did on minecraft too, I think that's a compelling topic style that will get some clicks and that's another video that can do some work over time.

I do think having a voiceover would help but it's not mandatory depending on your content style.

I know you said you put a lot of time into your videos but 55 videos usually isn't enough to really take off for most niches. In my opinion this is what weeds out most people over time. Most are not committed to making 150-200(or more) videos before seeing success.

Last edited:
Reactions: Min/Max Munchking

sanitary103

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
some sound advice here so not much more to add other than you have to adapt and keep grinding. also, the mentality of you deserving subs is a mindset that needs to change. sure you're frustrated but don't you think the majority wants to make it big? why do you feel like you deserve more than other youtubers?

Reactions: Hulio

Graphic Designer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My opinion is that YouTube is largely a lottery. I've seen channels with many high quality videos with only hundreds of subscribers after a few years. The people in these channels spend enormous time and effort to make each video ie. using a boat to get to a part of the sea to make a deep-diving video, or they buy things to review, or visit locations etc. None of this counts for much in the end. Their channel is still insignificant. On the flip-side, some channels do minimal work and get massive subscribers ie. channels that show movie trailers etc.

I believe it is the YT algorithm that determines success on YT. So try to do things that make the YT algorithm happy, but this will not guarantee success. And let's face it, only the top 2% (total guess) are successful enough to make a living from YT, just like the top 2% of actors can make a living from acting.

If you start a YouTube channel and expect it to be successful, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. But we can all hope. :)