I can't seem to upload custom thumbnails.

WildCharger

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Before you ask, I am eligible, and the file being uploaded is in a compatible format. But whenever I upload a thumbnail, it'll say "uploading" for about ten minutes, then revert to the "Custom thumbnail" button, without even having uploaded my thumbnail. I'm confused.

Attachments

WildCharger

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
What is the resolution of the file?
It's a 1920x1080 jpg, but that doesn't really matter, because I can't upload custom thumbnails with any image at all on any of my videos. It doesn't say I can't but when I try to upload the picture it doesn't do anything.

WildCharger

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Am I really the first person to have this problem? I posted on the official YouTube help forum and they're not helping either. I really, really need this fixed!

terror569

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Max resolution for thumbnail gotta be 1280x720 :)

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I would try shrinking the file down and saving it with a title like, "thumbnail.jpg" It might be because of the size, and/or it might be because you have special characters in the filename. ...Or it might be the browser....or internet connection...It could be a lot of things, but let's start with the filename and file size. ^_^

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Max resolution for thumbnail gotta be 1280x720 :)
No. There is only limitation of the size - 2MB. I upload 4K thumbnails all the time and I have no issues at all. YouTube does the job of resizing, re-scaling and creating different resolutions out of the file.
@WildCharger Did you try logging out completely from your Google/YouTube account and then logging in again from different browser? There is sometimes authentication issues with uploading thumbnails, where some obsolete cookies are in the browser.

terror569

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
No. There is only limitation of the size - 2MB. I upload 4K thumbnails all the time and I have no issues at all. YouTube does the job of resizing, re-scaling and creating different resolutions out of the file.
@WildCharger Did you try logging out completely from your Google/YouTube account and then logging in again from different browser? There is sometimes authentication issues with uploading thumbnails, where some obsolete cookies are in the browser.
Interesting
"
  • Have a resolution of 1280x720 (with minimum width of 640 pixels).
  • Be uploaded in image formats such as .JPG, .GIF, .BMP, or .PNG.
  • Remain under the 2MB limit.
  • Try to use a 16:9 aspect ratio as it's the most used in YouTube players and previews.
"
support.google.com/youtube/answer/72431?hl=en

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Interesting
"
  • Have a resolution of 1280x720 (with minimum width of 640 pixels).
  • Be uploaded in image formats such as .JPG, .GIF, .BMP, or .PNG.
  • Remain under the 2MB limit.
  • Try to use a 16:9 aspect ratio as it's the most used in YouTube players and previews.
"
support.google.com/youtube/answer/72431?hl=en
Yep, however, you forgot to quote that little part:
We recommend your custom thumbnails:,
especially the part recommend.
I wrote from my experience. I have uploaded all kind of thumbnails in any imaginable resolution, colour depth, format and content. The only limitation that I've ever faced was the size of 2 MB. No other limitation of the thumbnails - from 320x240 to 3840x2160 and even higher, or the format - jpg, gif, png. They all work.