How to script videos (properly)?

Gametrap

I've Got It
Does anyone have advice on how to script videos so they sound natural?

Lately I've been using bullet points for my videos, but I want to switch back to scripts, because it's easier than thinking of things on spot.

The problem is that scripted videos sound unnatural sometimes. I'm not talking about the delivery, but that the words being said just seem strange.

Any tips would really be appreciated!

My tutorials are somewhat scripted. First, I write out key points that I need to discuss, and then I sit down in front of my camera and practice talking through and demonstrating the tutorial without actually filming. It takes me several practice attempts before I actually work out what I want to say and figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. By the time I'm ready to film, everything I want to say has been memorized, and I can focus a lot more on actually demonstrating things correctly for the video...

I think I sound a little more natural mainly because I scripted main ideas instead of sentences..., and I practiced sentences ahead of time until I knew how I wanted to say stuff....

It's definitely not the fastest way to make a video, but it works well for me! ^_^

My tutorials are somewhat scripted. First, I write out key points that I need to discuss, and then I sit down in front of my camera and practice talking through and demonstrating the tutorial without actually filming. It takes me several practice attempts before I actually work out what I want to say and figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. By the time I'm ready to film, everything I want to say has been memorized, and I can focus a lot more on actually demonstrating things correctly for the video...

I think I sound a little more natural mainly because I scripted main ideas instead of sentences..., and I practiced sentences ahead of time until I knew how I wanted to say stuff....

It's definitely not the fastest way to make a video, but it works well for me! ^_^
Pfffff... It takes me multiple hours to script one of my videos. I'd rather use the time to perfect the recording.
That practicing method sounds really good. I'll try it out :D

If the thing you're scripting isn't complicated and it's something like a review or a simple theory/observation then I'd recommend you keep the script simple as well. Maybe use bullet points for all your key-points and dashes for side notes. Then just look it over before you film. Then just open your mouth and improv! Just let it all out but be yourself! Odds are this'll make you sound more likable than just reading a carefully worded script, paragraph by paragraph, off of a piece of paper. This should hopefully give you that "natural" tine you were wanting since it's all just you but channeled into those points. If you have too many points to remember you can just have multiple takes and look at the second half in between takes. If you keep your body stationary or if you don't show your body then cuts can easily be made and they'll look nice and maybe not even be noticeable.

Before you start exhale all your air, completely empty your lungs to the point where they almost hurt. Inhale! This should force you to take one of the deepest breaths of your life which should clear your head and help with any nervousness. This also helps rush blood to your brain to make sure you're thinking clearly and that your mental reflexes are sharp! I highly recommend this if you wanna seem natural.

I can't stress this enough, Be Your-Self! If you're monotonous then be monotonous and if you're high-strung then be high-strung! The audience can usually pick up that you're faking if you are so don't.

So this definitely has to do with how you're filming it and what not but just a recap of tips to use if it fits your style of presentation:
- Make a list of key-points or key-sentences.
- Be yourself.
- Improv! (By that I mean Improvisation, basically thinking on your feet! If you need to practice this then most high-schools and colleges have an Improv Club that is usually open to new members.)
- Basically, don't confine yourself to a script. Key-points, yes. Lengthy Paragraphs, no!
- If you filming area and script allow it, take multiple takes. Even if you split the speech up into multiple takes then take each of those takes at least twice.
- If you're on a roll and you're cracking jokes left and right and you're really doing good then don't force yourself to stop at the end of a take if you don't need to. That moment, where you're gushing about the topic, is as natural as it gets. Besides, worst case scenario you just use your other take if you don't like the impassioned one.
- Counter claim to that tho is most fans LOVE to hear their youtubers get passionate. Your stirred emotions are more likely to get them stirred as well = comments/subscribers. So even if you make a minor error you should probably use it anyways.
- Take a deep breath!
- Be yourself.

A whole lot of this is just knowing who you are and being comfortable with it. I don't mean to get all mushy on you but go soul searching if you can't seem to get the whole "natural" thing down.

If the thing you're scripting isn't complicated and it's something like a review or a simple theory/observation then I'd recommend you keep the script simple as well. Maybe use bullet points for all your key-points and dashes for side notes. Then just look it over before you film. Then just open your mouth and improv! Just let it all out but be yourself! Odds are this'll make you sound more likable than just reading a carefully worded script, paragraph by paragraph, off of a piece of paper. This should hopefully give you that "natural" tine you were wanting since it's all just you but channeled into those points. If you have too many points to remember you can just have multiple takes and look at the second half in between takes. If you keep your body stationary or if you don't show your body then cuts can easily be made and they'll look nice and maybe not even be noticeable.

Before you start exhale all your air, completely empty your lungs to the point where they almost hurt. Inhale! This should force you to take one of the deepest breaths of your life which should clear your head and help with any nervousness. This also helps rush blood to your brain to make sure you're thinking clearly and that your mental reflexes are sharp! I highly recommend this if you wanna seem natural.

I can't stress this enough, Be Your-Self! If you're monotonous then be monotonous and if you're high-strung then be high-strung! The audience can usually pick up that you're faking if you are so don't.

So this definitely has to do with how you're filming it and what not but just a recap of tips to use if it fits your style of presentation:
- Make a list of key-points or key-sentences.
- Be yourself.
- Improv! (By that I mean Improvisation, basically thinking on your feet! If you need to practice this then most high-schools and colleges have an Improv Club that is usually open to new members.)
- Basically, don't confine yourself to a script. Key-points, yes. Lengthy Paragraphs, no!
- If you filming area and script allow it, take multiple takes. Even if you split the speech up into multiple takes then take each of those takes at least twice.
- If you're on a roll and you're cracking jokes left and right and you're really doing good then don't force yourself to stop at the end of a take if you don't need to. That moment, where you're gushing about the topic, is as natural as it gets. Besides, worst case scenario you just use your other take if you don't like the impassioned one.
- Counter claim to that tho is most fans LOVE to hear their youtubers get passionate. Your stirred emotions are more likely to get them stirred as well = comments/subscribers. So even if you make a minor error you should probably use it anyways.
- Take a deep breath!
- Be yourself.

A whole lot of this is just knowing who you are and being comfortable with it. I don't mean to get all mushy on you but go soul searching if you can't seem to get the whole "natural" thing down.
Thanks a lot! I'll be sure to try this out :D

Back