How to link to a playlist without specifying a video?

Sabrina

I'm going outside now.
Reaction score
I feel stupid but I can't figure out how to link to a playlist that auto-plays the videos, without linking to a specific video. There has to be a way :O_o2:

In my endcard I have a "latest videos" annotation that links to a playlist of all videos (reverse order), so the "first" video changes every week. So every time I upload a new video I have to go in and change the annotation links on ALL previous videos. As you can see, it's a growing problem. :wideyed2:

Any help is much appreciated.

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I'm not sure if this will answer your question, but I'll try!

It's possible to link to a playlist which will simply go to the list of the videos and that link will always work regardless of the contents of the playlist (so long as that playlist exists):

So taking the example of pewdiepie - you can do the same by changing "pewdiepie" for your username ;)

All of the playlists are at this URL: https://www.youtube.com/user/pewdiepie/playlists
and then if we want to link to the first playlist on that page, "Legend of the brofist" (cringe btw), we just grab the URL of that first link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYH8WvNV1YEmtayn67HJfhA6szVhFBuRv

But I don't think it's possible to automatically play that playlist without specifying the index id and also the video id. Obviously the index id would just be "1" but the video "id" changes for every upload and I'm guessing that's your problem ?! The only solution I can think of would be for you autoplay from your oldest video in the playlist, because the "video id" would never change from upload to upload.

Sabrina

I'm going outside now.
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help! :thumbsup2: Sorry I made you go to Pewdiepie's channel :D

There doesn't seem to be a good solution. I don't want to link to my first video because the idea is that if, say, two year's from now someone finds an old video of mine I want them to go directly to my new stuff that's hopefully much improved ;) And also it's for subs who may have missed the previous video.

But then, I also don't want people to go to the playlist page because that's just a bland list of videos with tiny thumbnails and doesn't really invite clicks. Also, I've heard that we should reduce extra-clicks and decision-making because humans are lazy :rolleyes:

Damn YouTube, you want us to link to playlists to increase watch time, why you make this so difficult :rage:

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Thank you so much for your help! :thumbsup2: Sorry I made you go to Pewdiepie's channel :D

There doesn't seem to be a good solution. I don't want to link to my first video because the idea is that if, say, two year's from now someone finds an old video of mine I want them to go directly to my new stuff that's hopefully much improved ;) And also it's for subs who may have missed the previous video.

But then, I also don't want people to go to the playlist page because that's just a bland list of videos with tiny thumbnails and doesn't really invite clicks. Also, I've heard that we should reduce extra-clicks and decision-making because humans are lazy :rolleyes:

Damn YouTube, you want us to link to playlists to increase watch time, why you make this so difficult :rage:
Yeah there needs to be an option for linking to a playlist and autoplay it from the start regardless of what the first video is. I know what you mean about not wanting to just link to the playlist - I do it quite a lot in comments and video descriptions, but it's not a good solution for the annotations. :(

Reactions: Sabrina