How much time do you spend making videos?

Kesler's Dad

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I typically spend an hour and a half on production, which includes setting up equipment (video/lighting/audio), filming 2 or 3 videos worth of material, then taking everything down. Then I spend about 3 or 4 hours on post-production, which includes offloading the 6k footage, syncing with audio, then editing, then creating the thumbnail, then writing out the closed caption, and finally the title, description, and tags.

The time above doesn't include rendering (about 1 to 1.5 hours) and uploading/processing to YouTube (15 minutes).

It's a hell of a slog to do it twice a week but compared to some of the skits were working on (attached pic of a raw, unedited frame grab), it's nothing. This fairytale skit will probably take 15 to 20 hours or more of prep and filming, and a couple of full days of editing and doing a proper sound mix and finishing off effects.

It's a lot of work but we'll probably submit the skit pieces to various film festivals for fun (we've already got a few that have done well on the world circuit).

As long as we're having fun right?

ItsMeRay

Hey there, Ray here!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
1-2 Hours per video

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
It depends but some videos have taken 2-3 weeks to make

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I suppose it depends on the types of videos I'm working on. A normal video for me can range from 3-8 hours. Mainly between filming and editing.
More complicated projects can take me weeks to years to finish so I don't count those.

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey everyone, I was just wondering how I compare to everybody else as to how much time you spend making a video, research, scripting, filming, editing and all. ~Column 1 P.S: I know it doesn't really matter, because video making varies for YouTuber to YouTuber but whatever
I spend from 16-18 to 24 hours/day for YouTube video making. Sometimes I get holidays for a week-two and dedicate all this time to YouTube. There are times when I don't sleep/eat at all, or doing it while filming, editing or researching. Yes ,YouTube is a tough job, and you are competing with the whole world there, so every second counts. At the end because of YouTube bugs, some of my uploads are broken and I am waiting weeks for them to get fixed, without any changes of resolving my issues.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Each video takes a couple to a few hours, really. Our setups are simple and the performances are easy for us to do....editing takes a while, and so does making props and getting everything together.

Jes

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I record a bunch of videos for like 2-3 days and then I edit them the next week because I'm not full time on YouTube I have a job with a rotating schedule so this worked best for me it take about 6 hours of recording my game plays and I spend about 4-8 hours editing each one then about 2 hrs to render the video and since I have a crap computer I have to wait to do my thumbnails until the video renders so I can start the thumbnail but in the meantime I'm looking up picture on my phone to get any idea of what my thumbnail should look like and depending on what I want it to look like impact the time I have to put into it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FRANKIEandEMILY

Column 1

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I typically spend an hour and a half on production, which includes setting up equipment (video/lighting/audio), filming 2 or 3 videos worth of material, then taking everything down. Then I spend about 3 or 4 hours on post-production, which includes offloading the 6k footage, syncing with audio, then editing, then creating the thumbnail, then writing out the closed caption, and finally the title, description, and tags.

The time above doesn't include rendering (about 1 to 1.5 hours) and uploading/processing to YouTube (15 minutes).

It's a hell of a slog to do it twice a week but compared to some of the skits were working on (attached pic of a raw, unedited frame grab), it's nothing. This fairytale skit will probably take 15 to 20 hours or more of prep and filming, and a couple of full days of editing and doing a proper sound mix and finishing off effects.

It's a lot of work but we'll probably submit the skit pieces to various film festivals for fun (we've already got a few that have done well on the world circuit).

As long as we're having fun right?

#DEDICATED! Go you for putting so much effort into videos, and brownie points for twice a week! Holy crap, I spend an hour and a half filming every like 3 weeks and I thought I had it bad! Peace out! ~Column 1

Reactions: Kesler's Dad

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
a normal video w/ me and emily = 30m-1hour to shoot
vlog to shoot = all day
toilet paper forts = 3-4 hours (or 24+ hours for one)
editing = 3-5 hours (importing, finding music, editing, seo/title/tagging/descriptions, exporting)
thumbnail = 15 minutes (photoshop a screenshot from the video while it uploads to YouTube)
seo = 1 hour or more (on-going...I often re-visit this and try to get my videos ranking higher if I didn't do a good enough job)

as @ZakDTV mentioned also, there's also an element of research and stuff that goes into it which takes up time. not to mention commenting and interacting with your community

10-16 hours. I start in the morning doing research/ finding my topics for the day. Hopefully I am recording by noon. about 3 hours of editing and another hour to hour and a half on seo and thumbnails.That is 5 days a week but I am trying to streamline it down a bit by grouping my stories into catagories. my sunday short took about 2 hours with all the seo stuff and thumbnail. I never did any of this before in my life so my workflow isnt spot on yet but I get better every day.
checked you out, you put a lot of love into your channel and it shows. keep it up brotha, I know all about that grind.