How much should i pay an video editor??

Status
Not open for further replies.

NothingToDoCrew

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So on my channel i have 3 playlists--Vlogs, DIY, and feature videos. Since my DIY and feature videos only come out once every other month, i have started to do vlogs to fill in the gaps however editing them is really taking up too much of my time. So i am starting to look for someone who can edit my vlogs, but i don't even know where to begin.
Say i film a top ten vlog and want it to be about 5 minutes long---
How much pay should i offer for that?
Should i just keep the camera rolling the whole time, or should i stop it after each number on the countdown?
Where can i find an editor? (i have already tried and failed miserably with fiverr, peopleperhour, and craigslist)

Celsus

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Generally decent editors run around $30/h[DOUBLEPOST=1457015413,1457015250][/DOUBLEPOST]Also the video creators has a good video on where to find team members, it also has some advice for normal people not used to hiring people.

CrazyPUA

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer
I would also like to know about this for future purposes, I hope someone let you know!

Kate's Adventures

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Don't have any thoughts on what is a fair rate of pay (although if it's $30/h for a basic vlog I think I might have to change jobs!) but I imagine leaving the camera rolling would be a lot easier than stopping and starting. I suppose it would depend on the editor but I find it a lot easier to have one video file with several takes than multiple files.

Reactions: CrazyPUA

CrazyPUA

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer
Don't have any thoughts on what is a fair rate of pay (although if it's $30/h for a basic vlog I think I might have to change jobs!) but I imagine leaving the camera rolling would be a lot easier than stopping and starting. I suppose it would depend on the editor but I find it a lot easier to have one video file with several takes than multiple files.
Yes, having one huge file is way better, you just go back and forth depending on what number you are.

Reactions: Kate's Adventures

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It depends entirely on your geographical area. Use something like glassdoor to look up what video editors make in your neck of the woods. Someone in NYC or LA can charge a lot more than someone in Knoxville or Mobile.

Reactions: Celsus

NothingToDoCrew

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would also like to know about this for future purposes, I hope someone let you know!
Pretty consistently people are saying 30$ per hour...But the tough thing for me is knowing how long it takes to complete a project. For instance, i filmed 10 things to do in february. I had 30 minutes of video time. I chopped it down and edited down to about 5 minutes which took me about 4 hours. Then i added little things here and there which added another 2 hours. So total i probably spent 7 hours editing my video, but how long would it take someone who is a little bit more skilled then i am? because 210$ seems a bit pricy for an cakewalk edit

Safety Turtle

Turtle Power!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
Are you looking for a professional video editor that would include making graphics and stuff?
If so, I think the price seems about right...usually things are done for cheaper if they're not done by someone who does it for a living ^^

Celsus

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It depends entirely on your geographical area. Use something like glassdoor to look up what video editors make in your neck of the woods. Someone in NYC or LA can charge a lot more than someone in Knoxville or Mobile.
It's more of experience deal with video editors, I used to deal with them all the time back when I ran my business. Decent workers are generally around $30/h but you'll end up paying closer to $60-$85/h if you want a great one. Honestly though I wouldn't worry about finding one in your region, upworks a good place to find freelancers, and you can use a dropbox account to drop your work in. As well as use Trello.com to set up a editing process so you can put your notes in and avoid stepping on their toes by micro managing. Though this is one field you that you will get what you pay for, I remember the best editor I ever used costed me $225/h which oddly she always came close to evening out pay wise with the lower priced editors after the job was done.

Status
Not open for further replies.