How do you make your videos? Improvisation or Scripted?

JV Trammell

A Filmmaker/Vlogger attempting to make you laugh.
Reaction score
Hello everybody! How do you make your videos? Do you just have an idea and just press record and whatever happens, happens? Or do you meticulously script out your videos? I know some people do a mix like bullet points but I'm really curious to see what everyone does.

I find that I like a lot more subtle and well thought comedy so I write out my videos, but then give myself like 5-10 minutes to improv with the topic I'm doing. The end result is well thought out stuff with a mix of natural goofiness. So what do you do? Thanks for replies!

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

Super Pawsitive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I do scripted. Heavily scripted content. Mostly because if I let myself just go out and improv a video, I ramble, and it's hard to edit that in my style which is more professional and concise. Sometimes I do include a bit of improv. If during recording I mess up or something along those lines, I might stick to it and edit in a way where it breaks the professionalism of the video to portray humor.

Johnny_Seagull

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian
My vids are comedy skits, so these days they're all completely scripted. My early videos were mostly improv'd, but my style's evolved a lot since then. I still do the occasional improvised video, but that's generally only when I've forgotten to prepare a video for the week and have to come up with something on the fly.

Delightfully Dumb

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I usually have my general idea with a few jot notes of things to cover. Everything else is unscripted... which leads to sitting in front of the camera in silence for long periods of time. Thank god for editing. Haha

RiffRaff

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
Hello everybody! How do you make your videos? Do you just have an idea and just press record and whatever happens, happens? Or do you meticulously script out your videos? I know some people do a mix like bullet points but I'm really curious to see what everyone does.

I find that I like a lot more subtle and well thought comedy so I write out my videos, but then give myself like 5-10 minutes to improv with the topic I'm doing. The end result is well thought out stuff with a mix of natural goofiness. So what do you do? Thanks for replies!
We like your channel btw. It wasn't awkward or cringey, the jokes were on point and delivered with confidence!

I spend about 3 hours writing a script, there's not much room for improv in most of our videos!

JV Trammell

A Filmmaker/Vlogger attempting to make you laugh.
Reaction score
We like your channel btw. It wasn't awkward or cringey, the jokes were on point and delivered with confidence!

I spend about 3 hours writing a script, there's not much room for improv in most of our videos!
Thank you very much!

DeanzEpic

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
My script writing process is the same as your's. I also do comedy. I write the jokes as a well planned script, but I also improv and take the best parts. So my videos contain scripted parts and improv parts. Best of both :)

chottom

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Improvisation only.
I can ask a question from the bakground sometimes but there is never a written answer for it.

PS. Scripted videos do generate more views though I must admit.

Elasmosaurus

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Other
I go completely unscripted. That might have something to do with the type of videos I do though I would suspect. But that being said, I think it also comes down to the individual. Personally, I cant deal with a script. If I try to script it, even just a rough outline, then it sounds completely unnatural. So I just wing it. Sometimes it requires a few takes to get something youre happy with, and sometimes I'll just take the best bits from a few takes. My advice would be to just go with whatever you're most comfortable with because if youre not comfortable it will be obvious in the vids. Or, if you really want to script it, just keep practicing your script reading until you sound natural...practice makes perfect, as they say.