How do you handle return to your channel after a long layoff?

Reetae27

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys. So, I recently starting uploading videos again after taking more than a year off from my channel to focus on other things. And I've noticed that since returning, it kind of feels like it did when I was brand new, in that I feel like I have to re-establish myself and it's very difficult to assemble new subscribers. So I was wondering: has anyone else returned to their YouTube channel after a very long break, and if so, A.) what did you guys do to get your rhythm back, and B.) how long did it take for your channel to feel like it's self-sustaining and normal again, and for it not feel like you're starting totally over? Thanks!

Reactions: Paola Varela

Cometary

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Guru, Designer
One thing for sure is an "aged" account on almost any platform is better than a new account. It's a factor of the ranking algorithm. If your new content will be the same as the old content than just continue. If your new videos will be about different topics then use the same account but unlist the old videos. Deleting old videos especially if they have a good amount of views can inversely affect the channel's ranking.

Reactions: Paola Varela

TheWealthProject

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
One thing for sure is an "aged" account on almost any platform is better than a new account. It's a factor of the ranking algorithm. If your new content will be the same as the old content than just continue. If your new videos will be about different topics then use the same account but unlist the old videos. Deleting old videos especially if they have a good amount of views can inversely affect the channel's ranking.
Interesting. When you say deleting old videos with a lot of views will inversely affect the channel's ranking, do you mean it in a good or bad way? For example, I'm about to restart my channel and a video I made in 2017 has 45k views. Should I delete it?

Paola Varela

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Thank you so much for this advice! I actually have a few subscribers and a very good view with about 20k views (don't really know how that happened lol) from an old gaming channel but want to move on to music content. I actually didn't know that trick about unlisting videos.