How do you guys feel about scripts?

Worldofpossible

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Currently getting my voice over done for comedic effect but I wonder how others feel about scripted vs unscripted content. Personally, I think it depends. From what I recorded, the only mic I have available for that is the PS4 cam and it's far from ideal. Besides, I like to think up jokes and make people laugh. Anyway, what do you guys think? and do you use a script more often than not?

Missilebomb

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I use a loose script, more of a guideline as opposed to word by word. I'm no good at following a word for word script, but i'm boring if I don't have one

Worldofpossible

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use a loose script, more of a guideline as opposed to word by word. I'm no good at following a word for word script, but i'm boring if I don't have one
Myself am on the fence, this script for this vid is necessary due to getting better audio recording. Just a little more before the final draft. I hoping this will work out but we'll see how it goes.

GrgakGames

Phoenix Games Enthusiast (Please end my life)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have always used scripts for my videos. I only have two where I don't use any at all and the flow and way I talk is always awkward and random.

I think using a script takes time as you slowly get used to it the less it seems like you are reading off of something.

notjamie

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I do skits so I use a guideline that looks like this (example the video Types of People Who Play Minecraft):
  • No life
  • Pvp master
  • Master builder
  • Noob
  • Fan boy
  • Redstone maniac

I just write out the main points of the video. Obviously, I had also rehearsed the video before recording it.

But for some of my bigger videos I write out word-for-word scripts as well as stage directions, costumes, etc. I think for gaming commentary videos, you don't need a script unless it's storytime or something.

Worldofpossible

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I do skits so I use a guideline that looks like this (example the video Types of People Who Play Minecraft):
  • No life
  • Pvp master
  • Master builder
  • Noob
  • Fan boy
  • Redstone maniac

I just write out the main points of the video. Obviously, I had also rehearsed the video before recording it.

But for some of my bigger videos I write out word-for-word scripts as well as stage directions, costumes, etc. I think for gaming commentary videos, you don't need a script unless it's storytime or something.
I would not say that, but it does depend one what you're making. This one is require more comedic voice overs for part of it, ps4 camera mic is terrible, so I have be more scripted for this vid but thats fine.

Factually True

I've Got It
Reaction score
I think whether or not using a script works depends on what kind of content you make. My process begins with writing the script, word for word. I don't really even know how the type of videos I make would even be possible without a script :D.

Then again if you do something different, maybe just talk to the camera or comment on games or whatever, it probably works better to say whatever comes to your mind and then just cut out the parts that don't work. Or use a loose script and fill in improvised stuff.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I write stage play scripts all the time (I'm in the middle of one I'm sending to a festival by the end of this month, in fact), but I almost never script for my own videos. I think it's because I'm a terrible actor, and if I use a script, I sound really wooden. But if you can make it sound natural, I think it can be a really great tool.

Worldofpossible

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think whether or not using a script works depends on what kind of content you make. My process begins with writing the script, word for word. I don't really even know how the type of videos I make would even be possible without a script :D.

Then again if you do something different, maybe just talk to the camera or comment on games or whatever, it probably works better to say whatever comes to your mind and then just cut out the parts that don't work. Or use a loose script and fill in improvised stuff.
I tend follow the script until something comes to mind that sounds better and go with it. My scripts are more of a guide than something that has to be followed to the letter.[DOUBLEPOST=1470431665,1470431609][/DOUBLEPOST]
I write stage play scripts all the time (I'm in the middle of one I'm sending to a festival by the end of this month, in fact), but I almost never script for my own videos. I think it's because I'm a terrible actor, and if I use a script, I sound really wooden. But if you can make it sound natural, I think it can be a really great tool.
I don't scripts vs natural reactions but sometimes you don't have a choice.

Tyoical Hooligans

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Currently getting my voice over done for comedic effect but I wonder how others feel about scripted vs unscripted content. Personally, I think it depends. From what I recorded, the only mic I have available for that is the PS4 cam and it's far from ideal. Besides, I like to think up jokes and make people laugh. Anyway, what do you guys think? and do you use a script more often than not?
Me and my group when we don't do animation, we like to writ scripts for certain things like a monologue, but we mainly enjoy writing down the main ideas of our videos and go about it with improv the rest of the video.