How can I license mainstream music?

unitsking

Reaction score
Hello guys I am trying to use mainstream music how can I make this happen?

Liana

Reaction score
Website
www.redsickle.de
Channel Type
Other
The copystrike algorithm doesn't know you have a license. YouTube will take down every video with licensed music you upload and you will have to argue and sue your rights every time. Highly annoying and not worth it in my opinion.

unitsking

Reaction score
The copystrike algorithm doesn't know you have a license. YouTube will take down every video with licensed music you upload and you will have to argue and sue your rights every time. Highly annoying and not worth it in my opinion.

Makes sense so they actually take it down ? How long before they take it down ?

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
@Liana this is completely inaccurate or at the very least incomplete. If you got a license to use the song you can have the company whitelist your video for that particular song.
If you do get a strike or anything you can show Youtube your license contract in the counter claim and you would be most likely clear. Yes the company could sue you but, what company in their right mind would give you a license and then sue you? If you were sued and you had a license contract I'm fairly certain a judge wouldn't even look at the case.
Also the question was about how to get main stream music licensed.

Like @LiamLambert mentioned, you can buy the license from the owner directly. You do need to be careful though. Often songs have multiple license. For example you often need to get both a sync license and a master license of the song. If you were making a video outside and music was playing, you would also need a Public Communication License. If you were going to sell Blu-rays of the video, you would need to get a Reproduction License for the music used in it. etc etc

It's more complicated with a main stream company but often they will make slight accommodation for lesser projects, like weddings.

There's also website that sometimes help with this but for any major project you would want your lawyers talking to their lawyers...

ps. I know none of the people who originally made this thread are active on the forum, but I wanted to update this since it was already updated by Liamlambert and wanted it to be slightly more accurate according to my understanding.

1612048878750.png
I am
NOT a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice
1612048878750.png

Reactions: UKHypnotist

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hello guys I am trying to use mainstream music how can I make this happen?
look into Lickd. It's the first mainstream music license company to license master recordings for YouTube, Facebook and more. They are starting to get really well known musicians/artists such as Post Malone and more. They have branding and non branding licenses. Price is determined based on average view per channel, per facebook page and so forth.

Reactions: UKHypnotist