HOW CAN BE RECOMMENDED BY YOUTUBE? | VERY CONFUSING |

detee cinematic

I have experienced of my old channel, on the 14th videos, we get recommended widely by Youtube (we were not monetized at the time), the video quickly get hundreds of thousand views overnight and after that a week we met the requirements for monetization.

Then we now have a new channel, do different topic and content. We are 4 months old already but yet none of our videos get recommended. Average views is very low. We even put more effort into making great content, try to be even better than our competitors yet still no traffic at all. We would like to know how to get recommended by Youtube? I know the algro now is very different from a year ago but yet super confusing. Please let me know :( Thanks for all opinion.

To my knowledge the best chance to get recommended is to have a popular video (whats popular depends on your niche) with high audience retention. YouTube don't start to recommend a video randomly they need to see proof that it's actually interesting to people watching it.
No views = YouTube think that no one cares about this video.
Short audio retentions = YouTube think that the video is click bate or bad since no one seems to watch more than a few seconds of the video.
Click through rate = do people who get recommended your video actually click on it? If no, stop recommending.

Then when it comes to recommendations it starts at a smaller scale, it's not like YouTube starts recommending it to every one, they start recommending it to a smaller group inside your niche and then depending on the results they stop recommend it or they start recommending it to more and more people.

This is of course not facts just kind of what I have experienced. When it comes to my own videos it's usually the once with a least 40% audience retention if they get a lot of views early or the once with 50%+ audience retention if it don't get a lot of views early, that get recommended. Usually they have a 10%+ click through rate. Now I'm in a small niche where my most popular videos get around 100k views and a good decently successful one ger 10k+ so the numbers here could be very different for a lager more competitive niche.

To my knowledge the best chance to get recommended is to have a popular video (whats popular depends on your niche) with high audience retention. YouTube don't start to recommend a video randomly they need to see proof that it's actually interesting to people watching it.
No views = YouTube think that no one cares about this video.
Short audio retentions = YouTube think that the video is click bate or bad since no one seems to watch more than a few seconds of the video.
Click through rate = do people who get recommended your video actually click on it? If no, stop recommending.

Then when it comes to recommendations it starts at a smaller scale, it's not like YouTube starts recommending it to every one, they start recommending it to a smaller group inside your niche and then depending on the results they stop recommend it or they start recommending it to more and more people.

This is of course not facts just kind of what I have experienced. When it comes to my own videos it's usually the once with a least 40% audience retention if they get a lot of views early or the once with 50%+ audience retention if it don't get a lot of views early, that get recommended. Usually they have a 10%+ click through rate. Now I'm in a small niche where my most popular videos get around 100k views and a good decently successful one ger 10k+ so the numbers here could be very different for a lager more competitive niche.
Thanks mate. What if a video over 10 mins with approximately 30% rentation will be recommended or video 5 mins get 70% rentation will be recommended?

Thanks mate. What if a video over 10 mins with approximately 30% rentation will be recommended or video 5 mins get 70% rentation will be recommended?

Now clearly this is just me quessing but a 5 min video with 70% retention is extremely good so that one should by far get recommended much more that a video with 30% retention. At least if they have a decent amount of views, retention dosent say much if your videos have 5 views, but with 1k+ views.

I have experienced of my old channel, on the 14th videos, we get recommended widely by Youtube (we were not monetized at the time), the video quickly get hundreds of thousand views overnight and after that a week we met the requirements for monetization.

Then we now have a new channel, do different topic and content. We are 4 months old already but yet none of our videos get recommended. Average views is very low. We even put more effort into making great content, try to be even better than our competitors yet still no traffic at all. We would like to know how to get recommended by Youtube? I know the algro now is very different from a year ago but yet super confusing. Please let me know :( Thanks for all opinion.

Hello, I just saw your thread about "Recommendations". I also have the same problem. I've been uploading videos like 4 months but not even 1 views comes from recommendations. It's like my channel is hidden from others... Are your videos at least gets some views from recommends? and also, what's category of that channel?

To better understand how this works, think of it like this. Youtube is an ad company. Your video is a Billboard on which Youtube can display their ads. How people get to your videos are like highways. You control the external highways (where you share your video links) and YT controls where travelers go on their internal highways. YT determines who goes down what road based on two factors.

1. What that viewer's interest are.
2. What content matches that viewer's interest the best.

Considering that there is no niche on YT that there is not a thousand other people in, and they are probably better then you are, how do you draw attention to yourself? Well, the truth is, there is only one answer. HARD WORK. For a new Youtuber coming into the market today, it is a long uphill battle to get anywhere. There are two things you can do to help yourself.

1. Produce good content on a constant basis. It is better to make 5 videos and release them one week apart than to release them all on the same day. YT wants to professionalism, and consistency says, "I am a Professional".
2. Working your butt off outside of YT to drive traffic to your channel. Use friends and family first, then Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc, etc. This is getting harder as most places HATE YouTubers trying to use their platform to draw people away from their site and they will BAN you so fast your head will spin off your shoulders if they catch you. So, you have to make it appear organic.

Just accept that you are not going to be an overnight success. Just accept that you may have to invest years before your channel will take off. You have entered the Youtube World, which is the most highly competitive venue on the planet. You are competing against multi-million dollar operations with entire studios and expertly trained personnel. Only the strongest will survive!

To better understand how this works, think of it like this. Youtube is an ad company. Your video is a Billboard on which Youtube can display their ads. How people get to your videos are like highways. You control the external highways (where you share your video links) and YT controls where travelers go on their internal highways. YT determines who goes down what road based on two factors.

Considering that there is no niche on YT that there is not a thousand other people in, and they are probably better then you are, how do you draw attention to yourself? Well, the truth is, there is only one answer. HARD WORK. For a new Youtuber coming into the market today, it is a long uphill battle to get anywhere. There are two things you can do to help yourself.

1. Produce good content on a constant basis. It is better to make 5 videos and release them one week apart than to release them all on the same day. YT wants to professionalism, and consistency says, "I am a Professional".
2. Working your butt off outside of YT to drive traffic to your channel. Use friends and family first, then Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc, etc. This is getting harder as most places HATE YouTubers trying to use their platform to draw people away from their site and they will BAN you so fast your head will spin off your shoulders if they catch you. So, you have to make it appear organic.

Just accept that you are not going to be an overnight success. Just accept that you may have to invest years before your channel will take off. You have entered the Youtube World, which is the most highly competitive venue on the planet. You are competing against multi-million dollar operations with entire studios and expertly trained personnel. Only the strongest will survive!

Hey, thanks for your message.There is a thing im thinking about, you said we need "traffic" to our channel. I've been creating adwords campaign to get traffic to my videos. Do you think that adwords could help channel growth? especially for recommending? I've got some good results from there ( high audience retention" but wonder why still they not show up at anywhere...

I don't understand where this idea of sharing your stuff outside of yt comes from. Has this been tested? Wouldn't YT value higher stuff that goes viral within the platform itself vs stuff that got posted elsewhere?

Also, i have some videos with great retention, but if you don't win the CTR lottery during the first days, the video basically dies and gets stuck (no recommended = no views).

Even if the CTR went higher over time as I drove traffic to it from endscreens, and the retention was above average compared to my other videos, and it was a solid 15 minute video, same thing, it never took off, even with a similar CTR of other videos that did took off and had worse retention, all variations of the same niche. So my conclusion is that the first days are key and the CTR that matters is the one obtained from the impressions that YT itself gives to you, not the ones you can achieve from using other videos you have via endscreens, or being shared on facebook, or perhaps it counts but at a lower tier than actual YT recommending it on the recommendation feed.

To me it's a bit of a crapshot. I work my a** on an animation for a month, release a video and doesn't get recommended, wereas other dudes in my niche are doing half assed stuff that is getting tons of views.

Also, it's impossible to upload frequently if you upload quality 10+ minute animations. It takes a month to finish one. So basically, there's an incentive to do half assed content, unless YT makes every single video you upload a viral success that gets recommended so you can live off this passive income stream while you work on another highly edited video. This is why most people end up doing gameplays or vlogs or other stuff where you can upload more frequently and thus play the CTR lottery more frequently. There's basically no incentive to "work hard" in the sense of working a lot on a single video. Unless you call releasing a ton of half assed content hard work. For instance, Alan Becker does super complex stickman animations that takes age to create, every single video he uploads is a viral success. Meanwhile other similar channels work as hard and can't make a living out of it because the algorithm doesn't promote them, there's no point in working for 1 or 2 months in a video if it doesn't get recommended. So he can afford spending months without uploading because he recieves infinite passive income from previous uploads wereas others are stuck, so the incentive to work hard is lost. And even if you "made it" and managed to grow a "big" channel like myself, it's still a crapshot, having a lot of subs doesn't mean getting your video recommended. There's clearly different tiers of channels rated internally, some channels seem to be loved by the algorithm and every damn video is a 1+million view success, then others seems like it's a lottery everytime you upload. And then there's others that are stuck in a limbo and haven't been able to get a video that takes off for years and eventually leave because it's too frustrating. They have tons of subs but their videos no longer take off. And after p-score being revealed the feel of constant paranoia of your channel being shadowflagged for some reason is too strong and you become anxious, imagine the feel of working hard while not knowing if your channel has been tagged to secretly throttle your videos.

Last edited:

Post screenshots of your best videos vs your worst videos, lets compare CTR%, watchtime, retention etc. Not a single one is being recommended? you have one with 52k views.

Post screenshots of your best videos vs your worst videos, lets compare CTR%, watchtime, retention etc. Not a single one is being recommended? you have one with 52k views.

I only got 1 view came from recommendation...nothing else and video stats are pretty good.

Back