How ANYONE can monetize gameplay WITHOUT a network: A lesson in Fair Use

AFTER reading this thread... (select all that apply)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
What happens to my youtube account if I leave a video(monetize enabled) that is 'matched third party content' in my video manager? Please reply. Thank you.
I think the money just goes to whoever the 'matched third party content' belong to. But it does make it harder to join a network if you have matched third party stuff on your channel. Plus there's always a risk later down the line that the content owner might change their mind and the claim becomes a strike.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
I thought it did. Don't most people delete their matched third party videos before going for a network?
The network requesting a channel link doesn't get to see what matched content flags you have. They get an error back from YouTube if they submit a channel for linking that has a strike, but that's it.

Dragonelo

Reaction score
I wanna ask something. What happens if I am partnered to a non-gaming network? My channel/vids is all about games. I just received a message from The Entertainment Network to apply a partnership from them. Are they a trusted network? Can they really support my channel well? Sorry for being such a noob. But I just started my channel only weeks ago. I'm just new here. Can you tell me? Please:) Thank You in advance. Hehe.

TigerXtrm

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It doesn't matter what network you are partnered with. Of course some networks are created with a niche in mind, such as gaming or music. But in the end it doesn't really matter if you get accepted. All this talk about networks having special deals with game developers is major BS. A game developer either allows people to upload their game's footage to YouTube or they don't. A network won't make a difference in this.

Reactions: Dragonelo

Sinyail

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Interesting thread read so far.
I started making Youtube videos, mostly gaming let's plays, about 1 year ago and I currently have about 450 videos.
I have a question!

In this thread it is mentioned that when Youtubers join a "Network" their videos no longer have to go through the "review" process.
My question is how did Networks waive this requirement and how can we, as Youtubers, waive the requirement just like the network did?

If we are truly seeking to be able to monetize our videos without some greedy network taking 40% of our profits then we must find out how to get past the review process just as the Networks have!

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In this thread it is mentioned that when Youtubers join a "Network" their videos no longer have to go through the "review" process.
This is not true. All uploads are run through YouTube's Content ID system whether you are with a network or not. However, there are a few channels who fall under the "Managed" status that may not get screened. That being said, those Managed channels still have to be careful about uploading copyrighted content.

The original reason for YouTube to allow networks to instantly monetize was that the networks were supposed to screen their partners. Needless to say, the networks weren't screening their partners so the networks lost the perk of allowing their members to instantly monetize the videos.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
This is not true. All uploads are run through YouTube's Content ID system whether you are with a network or not. However, there are a few channels who fall under the "Managed" status that may not get screened. That being said, those Managed channels still have to be careful about uploading copyrighted content.

The original reason for YouTube to allow networks to instantly monetize was that the networks were supposed to screen their partners. Needless to say, the networks weren't screening their partners so the networks lost the perk of allowing their members to instantly monetize the videos.

He's technically correct. There are 2 "reviews". ContentID which matches to known copyrighted material and affects everybody. And the Adsense review which is simply a suspicion from Google that you may not own the content and have to provide proof of ownership prior to monetization. The Adsense review can delay things and networks weren't/aren't (until YouTube actually implements the affiliate system) subject to it.

Reactions: markkaz

Blocky

I've Got It
Reaction score
This thread was pretty helpful. My brother wanted to do a gaming channel and I was worried that it will all be pulled down. I guess he has to do commentary over it to keep it safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.