HONEST advice needed *please*

elitechic26

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I wanted to ask a question + receive honest advice (I'll answer your questions as well)
YouTube has definitely changed + with that being said, what videos would YOU watch?

Took a long hiatus from my channel, but I see that the beauty/lifestyle YT "space" has definitely changed. I recently (today) got the idea to do skincare product reviews for dark spots on dark skin, but want to make sure I'm mainstream + accessible. Do you guys have any advice? My main goal when starting YT was actually to empower people by sharing my experiences (ex. not fitting in, social anxiety, roommate horror stories) but I feel like people may not be interested in hearing about my experiences when they're not connected to me. Any tips on how to be relatable, accessible, mainstream, but also unique? :)

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the strategy / technique advice forum. ^_^

Reactions: Crown

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Any tips on how to be relatable, accessible, mainstream, but also unique? :)
It is a hard question to answer.. I would go for 80% unique and 20% mainstream:) There are millions of beauty/lifestyle channels on Youtube so it would be a good idea to come up with something unique.. And my guess is that that is the hard part. And this goes for many of us. Everything is out there (almost) so you have to be a bit unique in your niche

Reactions: videoeditgr

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Hey guys!
I wanted to ask a question + receive honest advice (I'll answer your questions as well)
YouTube has definitely changed + with that being said, what videos would YOU watch?

Took a long hiatus from my channel, but I see that the beauty/lifestyle YT "space" has definitely changed. I recently (today) got the idea to do skincare product reviews for dark spots on dark skin, but want to make sure I'm mainstream + accessible. Do you guys have any advice? My main goal when starting YT was actually to empower people by sharing my experiences (ex. not fitting in, social anxiety, roommate horror stories) but I feel like people may not be interested in hearing about my experiences when they're not connected to me. Any tips on how to be relatable, accessible, mainstream, but also unique? :)

I'm not sure what you're asking but my advice would be don't try to be someone or something that you are not. People will see right through it as fake. Just be yourself, be real and don't try to second guess what you think people want. There is an audience out there for everyone. Good luck.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
but I feel like people may not be interested in hearing about my experiences
same as in a big restaurant's dinner table, some will listen, some will talk to others, some might insult you.
guess that Youtube have "everything" of "anything".
perhaps mainstream and accessible does not go together in Youtube.
Youtube comes from "you" first. So just be "You".
Whatever that means :)

akemipie

Reaction score
I agree that area of youtube has changed quite a bit. Now my advice:
I don't see a lot of youtubers limiting themselves to one type of product, especially since a lot of skincare products are a more than one use to be effective type of product. I see plenty that take a decent few weeks to start effectively working.
Also sharing stories about yourself is a good way to connect with your audience. I personally love storytime videos, so whether you make vids where you talk while you do other things or make pure videos on these, I think people will watch. If you try connecting, you'll be surprised by how many people do end up caring.

SlimeStories

Reaction score
I Love howto's, but my best advice is to reguarly check Google Trends to keep up with what is trending. Its a great tool to find out what people are searching for/watching. Long term and short term.

Hope it helps.