Have you tried YouTube #Shorts ?

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Okay, so I've posted 14 shorts now for 14 straight days and I've gained 4 subscribers (which again for such a small channel, I'm not complaining). What I have found completely interesting is the algorithm. I don't understand it at all, but typically after a few days, I'll see one or two of my videos spike in views. Most only get my normal 30ish views, but three have gotten 400+ and one got 1,600 views. The 1,600 views one got all the views basically within one hour according to my analytics. So, I'm not sure if I'll do this too much longer, but I have to say it's really fun to see an occasional video get way more views than usual. Hope this helps anyone considering trying shorts!

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I happened to have a couple of vertical format (recorded that way by accident) videos of less than a minute on my channel and youtube has automatically classified them as shorts and put them in shorts playlist.
No intervention from me involved.

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
@LandyVlad - have you gotten a view bump because of it?
I've seen some science demos that were vertical and under a min that went viral because of the short shelf. They now have like 7 videos with over a million views from 7 years ago, but all there views are from the last few months.

Rhody Seth

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
Yeah like Gedi mentioned I feel like shorts will just "clog up" my page and detract from the videos I put a lot of work into. Of course, most of my videos are only getting 50-100 views anyway so it's not like I'm annoying my massive subscriber base but it's annoying to me and I'm the one who looks at the page the most. :tongue:
Heh, I'm already starting to backtrack on this thinking. I haven't posted any content in a couple weeks and I'm heading up to the Whites tonight for some mountain adventures. I'll get a couple videos out of it as well - thinking I may also try my hand at one or two of these shorts to bridge the gap until the actual videos are finished.

Gediphoto

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Heh, I'm already starting to backtrack on this thinking. I haven't posted any content in a couple weeks and I'm heading up to the Whites tonight for some mountain adventures. I'll get a couple videos out of it as well - thinking I may also try my hand at one or two of these shorts to bridge the gap until the actual videos are finished.
I use Instagram story for that. A lot easier, feels like #shorts need a quality I can’t provide on the fly. But please try and let us know how it worked out!

Reactions: LandyVlad

Rhody Seth

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
But please try and let us know how it worked out!
I took a couple clips this weekend, spliced 'em together in iMovie and slapped it up on YouTube. Even added a lil' thumbnail. First impression: I like how it doesn't appear in the Uploads feed of my main page but rather in a Shorts playlist I had to create. Anyway, came out alright:

Reactions: Gediphoto

Gediphoto

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I took a couple clips this weekend, spliced 'em together in iMovie and slapped it up on YouTube. Even added a lil' thumbnail. First impression: I like how it doesn't appear in the Uploads feed of my main page but rather in a Shorts playlist I had to create. Anyway, came out alright:
I saw it! To me it didn’t appear in the shorts section but as a normal video in my subscription feed. But if it appears in your shorts playlist then it should be fine! Maybe it’s different for subscribers.
It doesn’t appear in your uploads feed you say? Gotta see why it appears on mine (all uploads).

Rhody Seth

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
I saw it! To me it didn’t appear in the shorts section but as a normal video in my subscription feed. But if it appears in your shorts playlist then it should be fine! Maybe it’s different for subscribers.
It doesn’t appear in your uploads feed you say? Gotta see why it appears on mine (all uploads).
Oh it's on my All Uploads under the Video tab. What I meant was that if you're on the Home tab of the channel it doesn't appear on my Upload playlist. And looking at your page it doesn't look like your short does either. So that's sort of interesting. I guess the #short automatically omits it from the Upload playlist?

But for those I'm subscribed to yes I see their shorts in my subscription feed.

Rhody Seth

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
So I created that short a couple days ago and it had 90 views as of early this morning. Then over a period of four hours this morning the video appeared on the Short Shelf and collected another 375 views. Now it's flatlining again. Anyway I can confirm that YouTube was recommending it as a short, however briefly. Interesting.