Green screen TRIUMPH!

PowerfulRedHat

I Love YTtalk
So I realized something amazing today. I've been struggling with my green screen for a little while, especially when I wear black. Black seems to absorb the reflection of the green quite a bit as I'm so close to the green in my tiny room. This usually makes my shoulders disappear, or something like that. So i tried wearing Red! Wouldn't you know it, red was my lucky colour. Today's video's green screen effects were a big improvement on the last one's.

The moral of the story? Don't wear black next to a green screen. Wear Powerful Red! :D

Yay! I bet it was frustrating when it didn't work! I'll have to remember to wear red if I ever use a green screen.

Don't mean to threadjack here, but I came across a very useful tool myself - I film in front of a white background, and I did a clone-heavy video for Friday. I was assuming I'd be spending hours going through and masking each clone, but I discovered a really neat trick in Final Cut Pro X that meant I didn't have to do any of that!

If you go to composite settings, and set the blend mode to "darken", the clones themselves get overlaid, but the background does not. Boom! Instant clones with no masking! I didn't see any distortion of the background - so this might basically take the darker of the two images and use that, which could mean it would work with any light background.

I don't have other software to test this with, but I have to imagine other editing tools have similar features. Saved me a ton of time :)

Does that have anything to do with red being opposite green on the colour wheel? I'm not an artist, so I have no idea, but I do remember then being opposites.

Don't mean to threadjack here, but I came across a very useful tool myself - I film in front of a white background, and I did a clone-heavy video for Friday. I was assuming I'd be spending hours going through and masking each clone, but I discovered a really neat trick in Final Cut Pro X that meant I didn't have to do any of that!

If you go to composite settings, and set the blend mode to "darken", the clones themselves get overlaid, but the background does not. Boom! Instant clones with no masking! I didn't see any distortion of the background - so this might basically take the darker of the two images and use that, which could mean it would work with any light background.

I don't have other software to test this with, but I have to imagine other editing tools have similar features. Saved me a ton of time :)

I believe the software I use has a similar feature, I shall have to explore it more in the future! I'm still proud of myself for figuring out Red works so well though, teehee! ^^

Wow, that's interesting; not that I use green screens but it's good to know. It might be the color-wheel theory like randomlilnikke mentioned. I love that feeling when you figure something out by yourself. Good for you :) !

All I know about green screening is it was a PAIN IN THE a** with my old camera, I had to tweak the s**t out of the contrast and colors and brightness and all that just to get me to even SHOW UP. Soon as I got my new camera in clearer HD? Green screening is MUCH easier. I've never tried wearing red I don't think, or wait... maybe I was wearing red in my "senior discount" sketch I can't remember, but I do know that blue is no good. It's too close to green and I get slightly transparent.

Back