LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
(Rather than necro some very old threads) -

I am thinking of getting a green screen setup, but want to do so at the minimum cost.

Can anyone recommend any good 'kits'(screen and lights) from eBay?

I've watched a number of YouTube tutorials (and can figure out the editing part so don't really need advice on that front).

As far as set up is concerned I know that lighting is important. - the screen needs to be well lit as does the subject and ideally the subject should be lit from behind as well to minimise green screen reflection. (Though that can probably be minimised in post, with some feathering if needs be,)

In any event I welcome input, tips, links etc from those who have some green screen experience.

Ta.

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I made my first setup for under $20 USD. I bought some green cloth, some reflective umbrellas, cord, caps, sockets, lights... It worked pretty well, but did look pretty bad... but is never seen on-screen, hopefully... ha ha.
I still use the same cloth, but now use a couple soft boxes. I got the softboxes, with tripods, from Shopee for about $12 each.For green screen use I take the diffuser off the soft box.

The cloth I bought is very smooth, a pattern or texture can weird out the lighting and make it harder to chroma key out. I bought it at a local fabric shop for a couple dollars, 2 meters x 4 meters. It is 2 one meter pieces stitched together. The seam does not show up on camera, and certainly does not cause any problem with chroma key.

This light is on Shopee, two for $26 (it shows 1,400 peso for me in the Philippines). I am not sure if y'all use Shopee in Australia. This one ships from Manila, you might get a better shipping rate out of China. Most of the stuff on Shopee comes from China anyway. It is just faster for me to order out of Manila...

I have a large curtain and just clip the green screen to the curtain rod, so I did not buy a frame for it. Shopee has frames for $20-$30.

Lighting is very important, but also keeping the screen proper tight. However you mount the screen needs to keep it tight & smooth - less odd shadows. If I used mine more often I would probably buy a frame for it. For as little as I use mine, just clipping it to the curtain rod, and clipping the sides in place, does a good job.

I have seen people get good results with a large piece of green paper tacked to the wall. I wanted to go cheap, but not that cheap.

~Edit~ I did a video of my gear, and here is an excerpt of just the green screen portion (including my upgrade to softboxes). It is unlisted, but the link should work.

Last edited:

Rhody Seth

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
Last year I had bought my wife a $30 green cloth backdrop for my wife as she needed it for a work background at the time. I made use of it a few months ago in a silly video. Basically I just tacked it against a wall, shined a few lamps on it and went to work. The results were fairly amateurish but close enough for government work. Here's a direct link to the last 30 seconds which contain my handiwork.

Reactions: LandyVlad

cy's escapes

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Any number of lights from around your home will work. If you have extra coin to throw around, I'd suggest getting a simple 2 or 3 point lighting LED kit as you would be able to control the color temp and they don't overheat and make your room hot either.

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My set up right now is about 500 dollars. I have the pull up green screen, and dual LED pro lights.

But I did see a product for like 40 bucks that fits to the back of your chair and seems to work pretty good. I used to use 2 ring lights that were like 40 dollars total. Wish I remembered where I found it.

Have to take into account a few things:

-The contrast of the green screen, meaning you can't have a gradient light across it otherwise it will be a B8tch to ultra key it.
-Direct lights are out, a shadow will be a huge issue. Learn to bounce them off walls and ceilings to diffuse the light.
-Keep windows, screen doors, etc covered. Its cloudy, then its sunny, then its party sunny... it could really mess with the green screen causing a ton more editing, (I know this - personal experience)
-The camera you use, though most will be fine, cheaper ones could be an issue.
-Your editing program to be good enough to work with the green screen.
- lastly, your wardrobe. My second video I did with it, I was in a hurry and had a Minnesota Northstars hat. It is green, and yes I realize I am dumbass. BUT, it's something to take in consideration. I recommend darker clothing, it is easier to define, and obviously nothing of the green hue variety.

Lots to think about when doing a green screen.