Getting more proficient with talking

Veecharlie

hey guys!

I am trying to take once again my videos to a next level.
I would like to learn how to do smooth and proficient, complete speeches like most of the big youtubers out there.

I have had a burnout (watch out, burnout is an overused term. I mean a real burnout)
After that my short memory has fallen dramatically, while it's getting better and better, I don't have the ability to remember what I want to say, so I script everything down. I have tried pin point, improvisation and write down word by word. I don't feel comfortable with all of them. Before the burnout, I used to make presentations where I would remember my subject so well that I never needed any piece of paper . Elefant kind of memory... Also, English is not my first language.

I feel I miss a touch of natural speech, fluent and still catching engagement.

What are some cool tips to apply, techniques, methods, wathever that could help out?

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:
This really hits home for me. When I first started recording audio commentaries etc... a lot of people said I had an excellent commentary voice. I never believed them because I knew what happened behind the scenes, and how many outtakes there were before I actually managed to say the right dialogue etc...

If I was to choose a single thing that helped me be more confident, it would be dedicating myself and never giving up. It sounds corny but it's the real deal. If you enjoy what you're doing and you have it in your own mind and heart that you want to succeed - nothing can stop you improving.

In short - keep doing what you're doing, and focus on what YOU want out of this, and try not to worry about being judged by others. If you enjoy making videos the way you do - don't change that. You'll get more and more confident as time goes on.

I can kind of relate to this. I felt my first few videos with commentary sounded awkward and that it was the craps. However the more I started doing it and the more takes I did (sometimes way to many :p) I started to feel more comfortable speaking into a mic and not to someone. Really the only tip I can give is to just keep doing it and it will start to come very naturally after awhile

As i only do voice overs for my vids, usually i read off a script but even that i always redo certain portions, cut this and that...i am still trying and like what others have pointed out, i guess it boils down to practice.

Also try to do it after exercising...somehow the voice gets more energetic, your neck muscles are more relax and you will sound better.

English is not my first language either and I can relate to this. :)

My problem is; I'm okay if I'm talking to someone face to face, and they mostly say my English is perfectly fine. But when I write a script or read something from the script I'm really bad. (lol)

I would advise you to watch lots of American/English movies/TV shows or watch Youtubers from USA/UK. It helps a ton.

The best scripting and speaking advice I ever heard was from Russell T. Davies who basically said write your script. then perform your script out loud to yourself. if it doesnt scan right first time; change it so that it does. that has duel benefits because it gets you used to your script meaning your less likely to read it out with difficulty while also helping you iron out the wrinkles. Also; never put words like "I am" or "We are" or "That is" because only in formal situations will anyone ever talk like that...abbreviate to "I'm", "We're" , "That's" and it'll scan smoother and sound less robotty :)

Last edited:
I prefer bullet points for reference.
If I write a full script and try to read it word by word it sounds awful.
So I find it best to look down at the next bullet point and speak naturally about it.
Of course do it several times and pick what sounds best.
Trying to kick out the 'erm' 'urgh' 'like' 'you know what im saying' etc etc takes practice.

Practice makes perfect. I promise it gets easier and more natural over time. The only way to film videos and speak well is to practice.

Back