G7X Mark III or DSLR?

Colby Mullinax

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So I'm looking at purchasing either the G7X Mark III or a dslr. My budget is bout 800 and I'd like to get a mic setup and a gimbal/tripod etc.

I noticed the Mark III now has a mic port and I really like it due to being smaller than a dslr but would I be better off with a dslr?

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
wow thats one expensive point&shoot, why am I surprised, Sony got 1 for even more lol with same size 1" sensor
as a somewhat experience videographer & camera gear YouTuber I would highly discourage from such gear unless compact size/weight/simplicity is your top priorities
At this moment I think Sony a6100 is the camera, it has a much bigger sensor interchangeable lens mount
I did a detailed review on a6400 but it is very similar to a6100

Reactions: Colby Mullinax

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the recording / editing / production / software / hardware forum. :)

Colby Mullinax

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
wow thats one expensive point&shoot, why am I surprised, Sony got 1 for even more lol with same size 1" sensor
as a somewhat experience videographer & camera gear YouTuber I would highly discourage from such gear unless compact size/weight/simplicity is your top priorities
At this moment I think Sony a6100 is the camera, it has a much bigger sensor interchangeable lens mount
Thanks, I'll definitely have to check it out

I prefer portability, but I'd also like to be able to swap out lenses and what not, but as long as I can still have a mic setup I'm fine with either or

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'd also like to be able to swap out lenses and what not, but as long as I can still have a mic setup I'm fine with either or
a6100 a6400 a6600 all have mic ports, selfie screen & same interchangeable lens mount, these cameras can also use more expensive Full Frame lenses from bigger full frame cameras, so lots of possibilities there

Colby Mullinax

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
a6100 a6400 a6600 all have mic ports, selfie screen & same interchangeable lens mount, these cameras can also use more expensive Full Frame lenses from bigger full frame cameras, so lots of possibilities there
Found the a6100 at a Best Buy near me but I'm still iffy cuz it's $849 which is more than the Canon lol but the Sony does offer lenses unlike the G7X

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
it's $849 which is more than the Canon
do more research, I would do a lot if I was about to drop this much on a camera, there are other options like new Z50 Nikon, Fujifilm & Panasonic
Sony a6100/a6400/a6600 cameras are doing very well right now because of the established previous generations like a5000 a5100 a6000 a6300 a6500

Colby Mullinax

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
do more research, I would do a lot if I was about to drop this much on a camera, there are other options like new Z50 Nikon, Fujifilm & Panasonic
Sony a6100/a6400/a6600 cameras are doing very well right now because of the established previous generations like a5000 a5100 a6000 a6300 a6500
Definitely gonna check around, I really wanna get started with photography and filmmaking of sorts for my channel

opbmedia

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Guru
I have the RX100 M7 and a GH5. It is expensive, but I have to say for most of my purposes the RX100 is just so much easier to use, especially for youtube purpose. I use Cine lenses on the GH5 and I much more prefer the quality on it, but seeing that most people view youtube on phones and don't even stream above 1080HD, the RX100 is just so much more efficient to use. I chose it because the optical zoom overcomes the lack of lens change somewhat.

For a cheaper setup, I was using GoPro Hero with a Rode VideoMicro which will run 500-600 all together. Vid quality is marginal, but cheap and easy to use. I even chose that setup over the GH5 before I got the Sony because of the ease to use.

But for the original question probably DLSR over the G7 for more flexibility. I looked at the G7 but end up buying the Sony even though it was 300 more. (Bought a gray market one for around $1100), plus tripod/mic/mount for another 100.

Colby Mullinax

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have the RX100 M7 and a GH5. It is expensive, but I have to say for most of my purposes the RX100 is just so much easier to use, especially for youtube purpose. I use Cine lenses on the GH5 and I much more prefer the quality on it, but seeing that most people view youtube on phones and don't even stream above 1080HD, the RX100 is just so much more efficient to use. I chose it because the optical zoom overcomes the lack of lens change somewhat.

For a cheaper setup, I was using GoPro Hero with a Rode VideoMicro which will run 500-600 all together. Vid quality is marginal, but cheap and easy to use. I even chose that setup over the GH5 before I got the Sony because of the ease to use.

But for the original question probably DLSR over the G7 for more flexibility. I looked at the G7 but end up buying the Sony even though it was 300 more. (Bought a gray market one for around $1100), plus tripod/mic/mount for another 100.
Nice! I'm just so torn atm, but for the time being I'll just use my phone and buy some accessories/add-ons. Think my iPhone 11 Pro can do just fine for now