For Content IDs, Is Video Still Visible to Everyone?

Lychon

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello all- I’ve gotten a couple of content IDs for music in two of my video essays. I believe it is fair use (music plays in the background of a scene I am showing to illustrate the point I was making in my voiceover right before it).

Neither of the Content IDs are copyright strikes, but the first one says “visible to everyone”, while the second one has “partial visibility”.

What I’m wondering is whether the “visible to everyone” Content ID is, in fact, true: if it doesn’t change to “blocked” or “partial visibility”, then does that ensure that the video’s visibility remains unchanged? This is of course separate from the monetization issue (both vids cannot be monetized by me due to the Content ID, though I may decide to dispute the IDs).

Thank you for any ideas!

crazy-logic

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
In this sense visible everywhere is just that but you wont be able to monetise, as the content ID claimant will get that money.
Partial visibility is just that and it is because the copyright holder restricts the use of their material from certain geographic areas, and they get the monetisation money too.

Regarding fair use, i disagree with your assessment. Background music is not fair use. But i am not a lawyer, and i haven't assessed your content, so find appropriate advice - https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9783148?hl=en . BTW Twitch have been telling their creators to pull any VOD's that have background music as it's infringing copyright (Twitch pays for the streaming license part but not VOD, i believe is the deal.) Leonard French, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChBJtu4BhT8b8t9Qe9R-EZg is a great resource for understanding fair use.

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I have not seen one say partial visibility, but it is probably certain regions, for licensing reasons.
I have a holiday vid and Frank Sinatra plays for a bit in the background. It was claimed so they get the money. Also it says it is blocked in Germany (they do not like Sinatra?).
And yeah, background music is pretty much not going to fall under fair use, unless you are doing music reviews. And that is still just a maybe. The music companies are very serious about claiming their money.

Lychon

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Darn...my replies got deleted? I guess they were too deep on the legal analysis of fair use or something?