FAKE DMCA COMPLAINTS ACCEPTED BY YOUTUBE TO REMOVE LEGIT CLIPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiho33cool

What is being done by the Youtube Community against Youtube's continued policy of accepting fake DMCA complaints to take down legitimate clips and channels. There have been several extremely embarrassing incidents involving fake DMCA complaints on Youtube where whichever idiot in charge of DMCA evaluation did not check the validity of the complaint first, and then quickly yanked down all the clips....
In one case- last year it was all of Justin Bieber clips they could find.

From what I know, the problem of these swift idiotic takedowns is getting much worse.

If Youtube is professional in any way, why don't they fire the current idiot in charge of DMCA complaints, and replace that stupid person with someone competent - a person who will tackle fake DMCA complaints as the criminal activities that they are.

The current idiot in charge of DMCA at Youtube is taking down channels and clips that are posting 100% owned clips with zero copyright violating material within them.

Does anybody know who that idiot Youtube staffer running/ ruining the DMCA procedure is accountable at Youtube?
That nutcase has to be stopped.

Not to be an idiot, but what does DMCA stand for? :p

You're not an idiot.
Asking questions is how we learn :)
Digital Millenium Copyright Act
http://www.dmca.com/
DMCA is a cyberspace protection of copyright content that appears online.
Copyright owners use the process to protect against illegal use of their content online.
It is up to security/ customer support teams of websites/ ISPs/ servers to enforce legitimate claims.

The trouble at YT is that they they have incompetent staff members in their DMCA claims department.
The idiots have already been responsible or taking down all Bieber content on YT because they stupidly did not check to first see if the dmca complaint received was valid.

The stupid DMCA staff at Youtube are getting an extremely bad reputation now for removing clips AND legitimate channels based on fake DMCA complaints that they are too stupid and lazy to first check for authenticity.

This is why the upcoming Big Brother bill 'SOPA' is getting traction. Because of stupid idiots at websites who cannot properly do their DMCA jobs.
SOPA will lead to the US govt. prosecuting YT for DMCA handling neglect.

Hopefully those stupid idiots in the DMCA dept. at Youtube will get replaced with competent staff members - ones who understand that fake DMCA complaints are actually a crime.

I dont know if anything is being done about it but I agree something should be done especially how they're removing legitimate videos, surely they're crippling their own revenue at the same time so it should be something they take seriously. It seems to be the same thing with Adsense with closing innocent peoples accounts, no one can get in touch or complain, its all automated more or less. Welcome to the forums by the way.

I dont know if anything is being done about it but I agree something should be done especially how they're removing legitimate videos, surely they're crippling their own revenue at the same time so it should be something they take seriously. It seems to be the same thing with Adsense with closing innocent peoples accounts, no one can get in touch or complain, its all automated more or less. Welcome to the forums by the way.

thanks

I think more folks need to start threads in YT forums related to youtube DMCA staff stupidly allowing fake dmca claims to take down clips that are targeted by trolls.

They should be fired.

Well you can challenge a DMCA claim and they will review it. They posted a blog a while back saying that if anyone gets a DMCA claim they will remove it until they are challenged, and if you lose the challenge your video will be removed permanently and you can be liable to be sued. They don't review every single video personally, they have a program and that looks for copywrited material that's why if you view a movie/tv clip its usually reversed because it is harder to trace with their program.
Personally I don't think its a bad idea, it makes you personally responsible for the content of your videos.

http://www.youtube.com/t/dmca_policy

Well you can challenge a DMCA claim and they will review it. They posted a blog a while back saying that if anyone gets a DMCA claim they will remove it until they are challenged, and if you lose the challenge your video will be removed permanentlyand you can be liable to be sued. They don't review every single video personally, they have a program and that looks for copywrited material that's why if you view a movie/tv clip its usually reversed because it is harder to trace with their program.
Personally I don't think its a bad idea, it makes you personally responsible for the content of your videos.

I think it is a good idea, people do have right to their own work and others shouldn't really benefit from them or have them as their own etc but when something pulls your video up for no reason and perhaps turns it off temporarily it becomes a nuisance having to appeal against the removal which shouldn't have really happened in the first place. I have no personal experience of this but I can imagine how bad it would be.

Well you can challenge a DMCA claim and they will review it

No - that is a totally separate issue to the point I am raising in this thread.

The DMCA process is typically handled by the security / customer service teams of website First making sure that the sender of a DMCA complaint is valid.
If the complaint seems valid, they will then notify the uploader of the complaint and then the uploader is free to fight a false claim.

The way Youtube DMCA staff does things is ridiculous and has a bad reputation for he process too.
They yank clips and legitimate channels down without investigating the DMCA complaint's validity.... ie, contacting the Proper owners of the clip to verify a complaint was made by them.

YT is simply yanking clips and giving strikes right away to legit uploaders

YT DMCA staff are stupidly taking down channels A LOT.
The point of this thread is to highlight the current incompetence by them that has been making legit uploaders go crazy due to trolls and pranksters knowing they can make false claims [ criminal activity] without any consequences from YT DMCA staff.

No - that is a totally separate issue to the point I am raising in this thread.

The DMCA process is typically handled by the security / customer service teams of website First making sure that the sender of a DMCA complaint is valid.
If the complaint seems valid, they will then notify the uploader of the complaint and then the uploader is free to fight a false claim.

The way Youtube DMCA staff does things is ridiculous and has a bad reputation for he process too.
They yank clips and legitimate channels down without investigating the DMCA complaint's validity.... ie, contacting the Proper owners of the clip to verify a complaint was made by them.

YT is simply yanking clips and giving strikes right away to legit uploaders

YT DMCA staff are stupidly taking down channels A LOT.
The point of this thread is to highlight the current incompetence by them that has been making legit uploaders go crazy due to trolls and pranksters knowing they can make false claims [ criminal activity] without any consequences from YT DMCA staff.

Its not stupid, its the rules. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but bureaucracy is bureaucracy. There is nothing you can do really but switch to blip.tv or vimeo. Their copyright rules are more lenient.
I mean I get what you're saying, false DMCA claims are a b***h but there is nothing you can do. Its their website, and its one of the most, if not, popular site on the internet and they do give you an option to fight a claim. Yes it takes time, but if you care about you videos its worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back