Excluding certain audiences?

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First of all, I do hope this is in the right forum category, if not, please let me know so I can try to move it :)

So, my channel focuses on women’s health and fitness but everytime I make a video and I say something like “Hi ladies” or “hey girls” I totally feel like I’m excluding men... and I guess that’s kind of the idea since my workout videos are created more specifically for women’s bodies but I just feel like I’m losing an audience... is this ok or should I stop making my videos so gender specific?

War

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think its okay to stop making it gender specific..Fitness is for everyone so you could make lighter workouts and more advanced ones and I'm sure you will connect with absolutely anyone that like it.

Reactions: Merlina Rodas

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
since my workout videos are created more specifically for women’s bodies but I just feel like I’m losing an audience.
You're not losing audience if guys aren't your target group. It's good to have a clear vision of your target group and who you are talking to. Besides, even if you do something specific for one target group, this doesn't mean other people won't enjoy it.

However, if you're not comfortable with it, change it. It really doesn't matter that much, so do what you feel most happy with!

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's kind of your niche.... if you intended on making women's health and fitness, I don't think there will be too many guys watching it.
You can always see in your analytics whats the percentage of men/women who watch your videos

Zandrom

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's fine to make what you want to make. There's also the chance you are getting more viewers/subs because its female related. They know every time you upload a video its for them. Unlike other channels which might steer them away.

That being said, you will also most likely always have some guys watching, even if it's not targeted to them.

Oliver Lesh

Reaction score
That being said, you will also most likely always have some guys watching, even if it's not targeted to them.
THIS.
If people are looking for workout videos, things like greeting shouldn't bother them that much - it suggests who is this workout targeted at, but it is the workout itself that should make people decide whether it is good for them to add it to their workout plan or not. Some people want harder workouts while some prefer lighter ones and it's not necessarily based on the gender. So it is mostly up to the audience - you're the one who offers them new methods to try, it's your channel, you can basically do whatever you want.

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies, all very helpful and helped to put things into perspective a little more. For now, I'm going to keep targeting a female audience, as that is what I specialize in, I did study women's health more specifically and my workouts, while they can definitely benefit men, are created for women. We'll see what happens in the future but for now, I'm going to keep it this way!

Thanks again y'all

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad