Editing: 101

MurrehHD

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
There are a few things to know when it comes to laying out, cutting and spicing up your videos.

And the headaches can be endless; what software to use, how to use it, did you cut it right.
There are a few tips to keep notes of and certain programs that can helps you out

1. Software: Editing software can be a big thing to get your head around especially if you are unfamiliar with editing in general. Sony Vegas and Final Cut Pro are very popular choices amongst amongst YouTubers, with plenty of tutorials and other people to ask for tips and tricks.
Photoshop IS THE only real choice to go with for thumbnails in my opinion, as it offers literally everything you need and more when it comes to making your thumbnails look ORIGINAL and FUN.

2. Technique: Editing doesn't come quick and easy to everyone. Try cutting your videos to make them snappy and to the point, cutting out the awkward silences or even re-recording audio and cutting it in to fix something you may have 'fluffed up' during your original recording. At the end of the day, your video needs to be entertaining. Would you enjoy watching a 6 minute video with 2-3 mins of it in SILENCE?

3. Practice!: As I said before, editing doesn't come quick to everyone. Mess about on your software and cut through things in different ways and maybe show friends and ask them what they think. Practice makes perfect after all?

4. Have FUN!: Believe it or not, editing can be incredibly fun and an interesting expereince. I personally always enjoyed learning new things such as effects and such, which inevitably lead me to work Full Time as an editor in a film company. And i started off on YouTube just trying to spice up my videos. Put the time in and do it for FUN...not because you want fame. Because if you're having fun, you'll not regret any of it!

ItsJustJames

Releasing my inner child since 2016
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Photoshop IS THE only real choice to go with for thumbnails in my opinion, as it offers literally everything you need and more when it comes to making your thumbnails look ORIGINAL and FUN.
If someone hasn't used a Photo Editor before, Photoshop is an incredibly hard thing to pick up and start using. You can achieve equal amounts of originality and "fun" in a free program such as Paint. I'd argue that there are plenty of alternatives to creating thumbnails if Photoshop isn't available to you.

Also I'm interested to know your thoughts on Premiere Pro. If Photoshop is on your list I wonder why Premiere isn't?

James.

SunshineWow

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
If someone hasn't used a Photo Editor before, Photoshop is an incredibly hard thing to pick up and start using. You can achieve equal amounts of originality and "fun" in a free program such as Paint. I'd argue that there are plenty of alternatives to creating thumbnails if Photoshop isn't available to you.

Also I'm interested to know your thoughts on Premiere Pro. If Photoshop is on your list I wonder why Premiere isn't?

James.
Agree, Paint.net and Gimp can rival results done in Photoshop and can be had for no money down.

MurrehHD

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I disagree, Photoshop offers alot more in terms of a professional look and there are almost too many tutorials over YouTube that can show you literally how to do anything, with step by step guides. You really don't need any previous experience, and you can, contrary to popular belief grab it for free, not that i condone that.

MurrehHD

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Premiere Pro isn't on my list simply because I personally don't enjoy using it. It is, I agree very versatile and easy to use AND integrates perfectly with other programs such as After Effects and Photoshop, but it just comes down to personal preference.

ItsJustJames

Releasing my inner child since 2016
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Obviously the features and processes Photoshop provides are indeed unrivalled. As a thumbnail editor however all I'm saying is there are other options and Youtuber's shouldn't limit their creativity by what software they can afford.

James.[DOUBLEPOST=1456332339,1456328365][/DOUBLEPOST]
Premiere Pro isn't on my list simply because I personally don't enjoy using it. It is, I agree very versatile and easy to use AND integrates perfectly with other programs such as After Effects and Photoshop, but it just comes down to personal preference.
Perfectly understandable - I was just curious. Would you be happy to share what software they recommend in the film company you work for? Are you mac-based?

James.

Reactions: Shehzad