DSLR Settings

Hey all!

Wondering if you might have some advice for me. I'm trying to work on optimizing my workflow, and one of the big hindrances for me is waiting for my camera to refocus between shots (and yes, I know you technically shouldn't use autofocus, but...I'm too lazy to throw something in where I'd be standing, focus, say a line, rinse, repeat)

Anyway, I recorded my most recent video on manual, with fstop: 8, shutter speed: 60 (29.97 fps), and ISO: 1600. That fstop seems to keep things reasonably in-focus, but even with the ISO up so high, there's a fair amount of noise in the video, and no amount of exposure adjustment in post was able to get things as bright as I'm used to.

Incidentally, I've got pretty darned good lighting in the place, so I'm not sure why I'm having these woes. I suppose I could add more, but I figured I'd check with you guys first.

So just curious as to whether you guys had any recommendations as to how to maintain a depth of field of about 3-4 feet, but without a bunch of noise or bad exposure?

Thanks in advance!

Well, for recording voice, I'd say if possible avoid using the camera Mic, I used to, but I now just use my recording mic and hang it just out of shot and record with Audacity, also, with lighting, most cameras have a digital lighting feature, so try this, or even make sure you have a white light and not yellow light, as that seriously impacts quality.

Well, for recording voice, I'd say if possible avoid using the camera Mic, I used to, but I now just use my recording mic and hang it just out of shot and record with Audacity, also, with lighting, most cameras have a digital lighting feature, so try this, or even make sure you have a white light and not yellow light, as that seriously impacts quality.
Oh, yeah, I think my audio is fine. I use a lav mic and record into an H1 Zoom. As for lighting, I'm running off of 2 1600-watt softboxes, which I feel ought to be sufficient.

Oh, yeah, I think my audio is fine. I use a lav mic and record into an H1 Zoom. As for lighting, I'm running off of 2 1600-watt softboxes, which I feel ought to be sufficient.
Hmm....Honestly, after watching your videos, I don't see or hear any real problems, seems excellent quality to me :)

Hmm....Honestly, after watching your videos, I don't see or hear any real problems, seems excellent quality to me :)

Hey, thanks. It's really only noticeable at full 1080p on my most recent one that there's a fair bit of screen noise. Probably me being anal retentive, but if there's something I can do to fix it, I have to find out!

Hey, thanks. It's really only noticeable at full 1080p on my most recent one that there's a fair bit of screen noise. Probably me being anal retentive, but if there's something I can do to fix it, I have to find out!
Quite honestly I don't hear it, I always watch in 1080p :) Did you get new headphones/speakers recently, could just be fuzz from them maybe? :)

Sorry, I don't know enough about this stuff to really give constructive advice. :p

You're talking about visual noise? I don't even know what that is. Could you describe what that is?

Back