Documentary Help??

zebracloak

I make Movies like I make Friends.
Hey, I am shooting a FAKE documentary about the Nebraskan Bigfoot, called the Beanfoot. I have never written a documentary before, any I am not sure where to start.

I know I am going to have atleast three interviews, and two or three dramatisations, and narration. Do I need something more?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated as well!

Sounds like a funny idea man, I look forward to seeing what you come up with! When you said fake documentary I immediately thought of the classic movie Spinal Tap. It's a fictional documentary or mockumentary about a British metal band that I would recommend checking out for a great example of how to create a whole fictional world that the viewer isn't sure whether it's real or not. And it's hilarious!:up:

You would need a powerful computer.
The length of documentary clips you would have to edit can get very long and requires a heck of a lot of ram. :)

You would need a powerful computer.
The length of documentary clips you would have to edit can get very long and requires a heck of a lot of ram. :)
I will be editing with a Macbook. Plus I have an external harddrive. This documentary will probably only be about 30 min or less.

Thanks everyone for commenting so far!

How would you recommend going about the interviews? Should there be a set of questions and answers or should I just have the interviewee tell his/her own story? I'm not sure how real documentarists go about that.

How would you recommend going about the interviews? Should there be a set of questions and answers or should I just have the interviewee tell his/her own story? I'm not sure how real documentarists go about that.

I think sometimes they ask a person a question but edit that part so in the movie you just have the interviewee giving a statement. Would also recommend trying to improv some parts just so there's a chance you get a funny bit you can use.

Back