Do you only get copyright claims for audio?

Steffo

Reaction score
You can get a copyright claim even if you only use a a second or two of copyrighted audio, while people seem to get away with anything regarding visual content. For example, I constantly see motivational videos with visual content from all kinds of Hollywood movies. Is it only audio that gets detected by YouTube's algorithm?

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
good question, curious who will answer this,,,,,, I create visual content so no worries there & in terms of audio just using YouTube's free no attribution required music

Reaction score
no, you can get a copyright claim for what's on the screen I have got a channel where I talk about the NBA and half the time it gets copyrighted as I have highlights on the screen so it does happen but less often

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
You can get a copyright claim even if you only use a a second or two of copyrighted audio, while people seem to get away with anything regarding visual content. For example, I constantly see motivational videos with visual content from all kinds of Hollywood movies. Is it only audio that gets detected by YouTube's algorithm?
you can get copyrighted for using someone else footage w/o permission. you can use freeuse video if its allowed, but you need to state the source. Found out someone used one of my videos and I got notified and they got deleted. Best to do your own stuff. You can technically get away with maybe 5 seconds of a clip from a bigger source like a film or something, but still need to be your own creation in the background (voice overs etc)

I do the same thing with dirtbikes but I use 4 - 5 sec clips but most manufactures are free use.

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Its much easier for an algorithm to detect audio content hits than visual ones. (Thanks Sahazam) but as far as legality os concerned there is no difference.

Does anyone happen to know a source of copyright free 'bits' ?

I see in many videos a 'three hours later' excerpt from spongebob for example. That would probably create an audio hit except that it is very brief and is likely under their (unpublished) length threshold.

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Well it would depend on the circumstances. People don't hold a copyright to their face - but there'd be legal implications (possibly) if you filmed someone without their consent in their own house/yard but in public is fair game.
Reading the YT Ts&Cs there's not any mention or allusion to a process where people could lodge a complaint for appearing in a video.... (Not a definitive answer, I'm no expert).