Do people subscribe to big youtubers just because they are big?

Do people subscribe to big youtubers just because they are big? They believe something must be great about them because they have so many subs, so they subscribe too even though they dont really like their videos. What do you say?

Why the constant hate on big YouTubers? You're saying that people subscribe to them only because they have lots of subscribers. Well, clearly, people are watching.
 
I don't subscribe to channel just because they are big. I subscribe if I enjoy the content whether it's a big or small channel. However like the previous user had mentioned, they got big because people are watching!!
 
A lot of subscribers = INSTANT legitimacy. What most people are missing is that when most viewers happen on a channel and see a high number of subscribers, it instantly pulls them in just because of that number. You see millions of subs and are instantly intrigued. That does not necessarily mean you will subscribe, but that channel is going to get a very good chance of getting your sub.
 
Having a lot of subscribers definitely makes it easier to get more subscribers. People like to belong to groups, and when they see a lot of other people doing something, they are more likely to do it too. But I hope no one subscribes to a channel solely for that reason.
 
Sometimes I have attempted to NOT subscribe to all the strangenecks with above 5 mil subscribers idek why it's just something i do
 
I think it is likely just like people will follow big name singers even if they are not into the music just to seem cool. Not saying big name Youtubers are not worth it. I do love me some Jontron and Wheezywaiter :) I sub only people I like since I don't see a point in subbing to every big person
 
I think some people do but personally I dont, I dont like being a statistic on someones channel that makes their ratio worse, I am too kind :D
 
I think this is a good example of the classic bandwagon.
The fact that a certain channel has a huge amount of subs means that a TON of people have found their content worth coming back to, and others just want in because these channels have passed the "should I subscribe test" of thousands of people before themselves.
Sometimes our brains are lazy to figure that out for ourselves, so we look to others for information that can help us make our decisions quicker and people end up having higher tendencies to sub without thinking. There will always be people like this. Everyone is probably guilty of it at one point in their lives in all sorts of situations. It's psychology.

No hate on huge channels! I believe almost everyone who has a following makes quality content that others want to watch.

Just explaining the psychological phenomena that the OP seems to be looking for. :)
 
I subscribe to people with good channel trailers. If the trailer is sub par usually the channel matches. Just like mine!
 
Back
Top