Cross Platform Copying

MacroShire

Reaction score
Website
www.macroshire.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Is it possible / legal to take someone's video and post it (At least part of it) to other platforms such as instagram , pintrest etc PROVIDED that we credit and mention their names in those platforms ... and vise versa; is it possible to post some else's video from other platforms to Youtube and credit their names ?

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sane rules apply no matter the platform. If I find my content on other sites, I can file a copyright complaint with that site and they will remove it. As to whether that site issues strikes, I do not know.

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Is it possible / legal to take someone's video and post it
Short answer: No, not without permission. You might be like; but heaps of people do it! Yes, but that doesn't mean it is legal. When someone makes original content, that video is their property. You cannot take it and reupload it on a different platform. It is like walking into someone's house and taking their TV to use it in your house without asking. Their videos are their property. 'Crediting' them isn't sufficient, as you still will be making views and maybe even revenue off their content.

To do it properly, you need to contact the creator and ask their permission to use their content (in any way or form). You might want to offer a compensation right off the bat or pass the ball to them and ask their rates. Some creators might allow you to use it for free if you credit them, but you should never assume this is the case.

MacroShire

Reaction score
Website
www.macroshire.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
In this case a new problem rises . How can i prove to the authorities/platform owners that i had already permission to reuse others work? i mean is it enough to have a REPLY email or message that they had already granted the permission ?

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Basically yes. If the platform approaches you with the question if you have permission to use the content, you can provide the communication between you and the creator of the video. But honestly, it won't be the platform you will get reported by. It is the owner of the video. So for example; if you post a video without explicit permission from the creator, the creator can file a copyright claim against you through the platform. Only then (most of the time) the platform will take action against you. So, to prevent this, you need to ask permission and possibly provide compensation for the creator. If the creator then still reports you, you can dispute this with the emails that prove your agreement with the creator.

Hope this clears it up!

Reactions: MacroShire