Copyright ID Claim - Delete the video? Or is it ok? Or should I fight the claim?

Josh Keatley

I've Got It
Just like many other youtubers I got hit by the new copyright rules youtube/google applied. Thankfully I only lost 2 vids but one vid is my 8th biggest vid having 70,000+ views (only a month old and still gaining views too). Both claims come from WMG. Both vids have less than 30-20 sec of the song they say I copyrighted. Which you are allowed to use short clips or audio (samples of songs) as long as they are not to long. These videos were perfectly fine until these new strict rules came out. Should I attempt to fight the claim?

I know that with this copyright ID claim it just means that they (WMG in this case) will put ads on these videos instead of my ads playing. I was making ok money on my 70,000+ views video now they will just be taking over and making that money. Which I don't care about the money they can have it! What I do care about is losing 70,000 views in 1 day when I delete the video.

I have had a copyright ID claim in the past and I was getting turned down from networks because of these videos, so I had to delete them. Right now I am with my network for another 7 months so it will be awhile before I have to worry about getting turned down from a network copyright any time soon. But if I don't fight it should I just wait to delete the vids or just go ahead and delete them from youtube now?

Any advice I greatly appreciate! Thanks
 
It's just a number - number of total views means nothing other than your epeen. Number of active subscribers is what matters.
 
Could it be the game maybe? The game might be not allowed to be recorded and posted online.
No. the 2 emails I got from youtube directly say that the claim is from WMG Warner Music Group. When I go to youtube video manager- copyright notices- click on third party matches- it tells me exactly what the name of the song is and when in the video it starts. I can even press play exactly at that moment where the copyright starts (something new they recently added).

I am really surprised that out of all my gaming videos none got hit for copyright for gaming/game play issues. I am real glad all the main games I play cod, gta, minecraft are safe from this new nonsense. At least the way I use them are safe.[DOUBLEPOST=1386770684,1386769741][/DOUBLEPOST]
yes. I read up on this at the beginning when I first started youtube over a year ago. I need to find this information/policy again for this purpose. How does ray william johnson get away with showing other people's videos? Do you notice he never ever shows the whole vid. He usually shows about 20-30 sec of a video clip. When you go to amazon you can sample a song for 30 sec before purchasing that song. - I know nothing to do with youtube just an example of short clips of music that is legal.

My 1 vid has been out for almost a year now. Why do you think it just got hit with copyright today? New policies I guess. Maybe these songs where a couple of sec too long? Each vid has other songs on it and they didn't get hit up with any copyright? I have other videos that have short samples of popular songs they didn't get hit for copyright?

I will look hard to find this rule/policy again right now, but I didn't just pull this out of my *ss like you prob think.
 
RWJ is reviewing and commentating on those videos, that's fair use. And the stuff he is reviewing isn't made/distributed by major companies (in most cases) but by Joe Schmoe who doesn't have a legal department cruising YouTube for his clips. And he's big and earning YouTube a lot of money so they're willing to look the other way here and there...
 
Oh and yes: less then X seconds is okay a constantly quoted urban myth, probably cause people want it to be true, but that doesn't make it true. On YouTube: shorter clips are harder to be recognized by the YT-bots, so you're more likely to get away, but you're not allowed, your getting away.
 
Back
Top