Copyright claims on my COVER

Gabriel

YouTube Addict
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Claims can be made from the composition of the song, too.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
Actually when it's a cover, it's its own piece of content free from the original. My own interpretation be it the same or different is something that I have preformed myself. So copyright there doesn't apply.
You need to do more research, because you are several orders of magnitude incorrect.

LyfeWithDragons

Mother of Dragons...Wait...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Actually when it's a cover, it's its own piece of content free from the original. My own interpretation be it the same or different is something that I have preformed myself. So copyright there doesn't apply.
It'd be different if it were a parody.

R A Jones

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
If you're using someone else's work without the copyright holders permission, even if it's a cover or your own interpretation, you're still breaching a copyright law.
Even if you put a disclaimer stating you don't own the piece, it won't get you around it, it will just show you're giving the credit to the original owner which can be completely disregarded.

katysbeautychannel

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In the Youtube world (which is where you're producing your content), covers are very much a no-no. Unless you are with a network who has licensing for certain songs, you can't post covers of them to Youtube and expect not to get into trouble for it.

You -can- post a parody of a song, though.

Google is its own entity. It doesn't matter what the rules in the real world are. If you break the Google rules (like posting a cover of a copyrighted song), you get punished hard for it.

Lime Cake Music

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
Yes it can be hard for a cover musician on Youtube sometimes. Although some of our uploaded covers on Youtube gets identified as a cover and we get to monetize them, suddenly there's no copyright issue anymore. Well I guess that depends on the record company as well since for instance both of our Imagine Dragons covers are monetized while few others are.