Copyright Claim Nightmare

LiborioConti

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Musician
Unfortunately, it happened. Today, I was informed by one of my subs that two of my royalty free music tracks triggered a copyright claim.

screencomment.jpg

I'm getting nervous because here I am providing music that should never ever trigger a copyright claim but yet, it happened. Apparently someone came across my music and placed ContentID on at least two tracks. I knew about the risk that this could happen, but lucked out so far. I am in this business since 2007 and I can't believe that the copyright system is still so primitively flawed today. Literally anyone can place contentID on music, no proof of any sort of ownership required, it is ridiculous and it can cause me lots of trouble.

I could place contentID on everything I composed which would prevent any shady person to falsely claim copyright but that would mean that everyone that has and will use my music, would receive a copyright claim which they need to dispute first in order to get removed. This can litereally take days and can be a hassle to someone that has never done that before - while it would fix the problem with false claims, it would really hurt to go that route. I contacted my distributor with who I worked with for many years and it is not even possible to file ContentID and deactivate that it would trigger any claims. It is frustrating because it feels like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

That said, which path should I take? What could you best live with - disputing a false claim whenever it comes in (maybe it does not, but it can..) - or disputing a legitimate claim when you first upload your content? This is a very tough decision because I am going to probably lose many subs either way. I would love your input!

unitsking

Reaction score
So sorry this is crazy, happened to me as well the other day with a song of mine. I am looking to find out how to copyright my music now everything.