Content ID match

JollyDangerous

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian
What is Content ID Matching and is it a bad thing?
Can it get you a copyright strike?

What if its on 1 video in a series is it still bad?

tedbearman

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't think so I get them all the time from playing games, and I have no strikes.

Reactions: JollyDangerous

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Content ID Match is the software that YouTube uses to check if a video is infringing copyright. No it's not bad, it can stop people from copying your videos if you're partnered. And yes you can get a strike if your video is caught in the Content ID pool, but no you can't get a strike from being in Content ID (ie. if you created something original and you place it in the content id pool so other people can't copy you.

more often than not, they'll just play ads on your videos but they can give you a strike at any moment if they want.

benoftheweek

YTtalk's Chicken Salad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Once I got it and quickly deleted the video because im a good child, not really, screw copyrights

barackobeezy

Reaction score
Sorry for the long answers :p

What is Content ID Matching and is it a bad thing?
Content ID matches are when a rightsholder uploads a reference clip to YouTube. This can be audio-only, video-only, or audiovisual (both, obviously). It was created to:

a) please content owners and dissuade them from sending DMCA notices by offering to manager their content on YouTube, and
b) allow content creators to use and/or sample content without the fear of an immediate takedown.

If a video is identified as a content match, the owner can block, monetize, or track the statistic. Most often, the rightsholders monetize their content since it makes them money. Of course, full-length TV shows and movies are blocked since the ad revenue generates less much than a $2 rental on-site.

Can it get you a copyright strike?
While it is not an explicit license or permission per se, one could interpret that a claim that is identified but not blocked by the system means that the rightsholder is tolerating the use of his or her property in exchange for the ad revenue. DMCA claims for Content ID matches are rare, unless it is a part of the appeals process which it is the only option besides releasing the claim.

A "Content ID strike", as they are informally called, is when a video is blocked worldwide on YouTube. This is also rare, but it happens most often when people upload things like TV shows, movies, and music videos. When a video is blocked worldwide via Content ID, it makes your account not in good standing and takes away some of your features. It is basically a DMCA strike with a lot less formality, but the same amount of impact. Your account can be returned to good standing by either appealing the claim or deleting the video.

What if its on 1 video in a series is it still bad?
No.

While an account with community and copyright guidelines in a good standing but not Content ID will probably not be accepted for a partnership, a simple Content ID match (i.e: a monetize one) most likely will not be an issue. These just lessen the amount of videos on your channel that your network can claim, so if you have a collection of videos all with Content ID claims on them, the network can't make money since you can't make money.

In other words, one content ID claim is not going to kill your account. However, some networks have a no-tolerance policy to things like third-party music and you should be aware if that's the issue.

Gabriel

YouTube Addict
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Content ID claims are usually harmless, though you are always at risk if the copyright holder wishes to take down your video (this usually happens when management changes at their end etc.) which will also place a copyright strike against your account.

JollyDangerous

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian
Wow okay thankyou very much to all of you for helping out with this post. It seems like if I play a newly released game and I get a content Id on just one vid it should be okay as long as they dont change their mind. Ill be sure to take care. Again thanks everyone! :D[DOUBLEPOST=1375065638,1375060370][/DOUBLEPOST]
Sorry for the long answers :p

Content ID matches are when a rightsholder uploads a reference clip to YouTube. This can be audio-only, video-only, or audiovisual (both, obviously). It was created to:

a) please content owners and dissuade them from sending DMCA notices by offering to manager their content on YouTube, and
b) allow content creators to use and/or sample content without the fear of an immediate takedown.

If a video is identified as a content match, the owner can block, monetize, or track the statistic. Most often, the rightsholders monetize their content since it makes them money. Of course, full-length TV shows and movies are blocked since the ad revenue generates less much than a $2 rental on-site.

While it is not an explicit license or permission per se, one could interpret that a claim that is identified but not blocked by the system means that the rightsholder is tolerating the use of his or her property in exchange for the ad revenue. DMCA claims for Content ID matches are rare, unless it is a part of the appeals process which it is the only option besides releasing the claim.

A "Content ID strike", as they are informally called, is when a video is blocked worldwide on YouTube. This is also rare, but it happens most often when people upload things like TV shows, movies, and music videos. When a video is blocked worldwide via Content ID, it makes your account not in good standing and takes away some of your features. It is basically a DMCA strike with a lot less formality, but the same amount of impact. Your account can be returned to good standing by either appealing the claim or deleting the video.

No.

While an account with community and copyright guidelines in a good standing but not Content ID will probably not be accepted for a partnership, a simple Content ID match (i.e: a monetize one) most likely will not be an issue. These just lessen the amount of videos on your channel that your network can claim, so if you have a collection of videos all with Content ID claims on them, the network can't make money since you can't make money.

In other words, one content ID claim is not going to kill your account. However, some networks have a no-tolerance policy to things like third-party music and you should be aware if that's the issue.
Thank you very much for these extensive answers. They helped alot! :D

Reactions: Gabriel