Changing Channel tags

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It won't make any difference. Tags have fairly low relevance these days (this is the consensus from the "experts"). They are generally now used for search mostly, and more so for long and mid tails you want to place in search for. But, kids 2-5 don't search. There are way more advanced signals used now to allocate suggested slots than tags - tags worked a few years ago but no longer, for the most part, unless of course for mid-long tails. You can of course try and see what happens!!

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It won't make any difference. Tags have fairly low relevance these days (this is the consensus from the "experts"). They are generally now used for search mostly, and more so for long and mid tails you want to place in search for. But, kids 2-5 don't search. There are way more advanced signals used now to allocate suggested slots than tags - tags worked a few years ago but no longer, for the most part, unless of course for mid-long tails. You can of course try and see what happens!!
I tried changing it last week and our views dropped even more after that.

If you don’t mind me asking. How did you guys grew your channel that big? What did you do when you were starting?

6StringMadMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
If you have a video that is getting good traffic I'd advise you to not change a thing unless you want to risk losing its position in search, recommended, suggested, etc. Start using tags with new videos.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I tried changing it last week and our views dropped even more after that.

If you don’t mind me asking. How did you guys grew your channel that big? What did you do when you were starting?
We had several growth spurts. The first came when we used the "Thomas and Friends Accidents Will Happen" trend and keywords. There were a few big channel making those videos, and we did the same, about 5 or so. Those got the first spurt of views, and took subs from about 2k to 10k. I remember we got a suggested placement on RyanToysReview, it was about 1 day's worth, but gave the initial traffic peak. Prior to that, the channel was pretty much dead for the first 3 months. After that placement, we started getting major suggested placements on many other channel doing Thomas & Friends kids at the park, sets, and accident videos. Then Thomas started to dry up (for us). We tried Disney Cars but nothing hit.

Then we started doing giant surprise eggs. Our first Hello Kitty giant egg got very good traction, and drove very large traffic at that time. That created lots of follow on traffic across the channel. We did lots more giant eggs. The Hello kitty videos took us to about 200k subs or so. We had mixed success with nursery rhymes and not much success doing Toy Freaks style videos. Giant surprise eggs pretty much died out, before one could aim for 1-5M views, now lucky to get 200k views per one.

I then got an idea to crush toys, and called it "Careless Dad crushes toys..." Some of those got good traction, and took us into the 300k or so. Unfortunately I did not have enough insight into how Yt works and did not follow the idea, spreading it horizontally across scenarios and characters. Another Vietnam based channel used the idea into their "Masha's xxx was crushed by Joker/Spiderman", where they used their car to also crush toys, fruit, etc. By the time I saw their channel they had already dominated the crushing things with the car across Masha, Spiderman, Joker, elsa, etc. There was nothing left to do with that.

The next major growth spurt happened when I came up with mixing "Doc McStuffins" + "Farting Mommy" + "Pregnant Mommy". Some of those were major hits, and took our subs up to about 800k. Our top videos are still in that category.

Since then we've tried experimenting with different things. Some works, some fails miserably. I'm thinking Barbie toys/dolls will take us over the 1M mark in the next 2 months or so. The big qn then, is what to do to push towards the 1.5M? Time will tell, the key is just trying lots of things and seeing what works. A huge restriction now is the ad-friendly format. That cuts a lot of ideas - gone are the scary ghost, killer clowns, and many things with trademarked characters.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That is our problem we haven’t found that type of video that would give us real burst. I think we gotta still do more experimenting. You were really lucky that you got suggested by Ryan toys review.

Gamayun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Changing tags would not change anything at all.It is all depends on how algorithm evaluate your video based on title ,audio and video captures .