Can't upload, disk full error message

singinsammy

Reaction score
I get this message trying to upload my first video to you tube from iMovie. No other explanation. I authenticated my account with a phone #. The video is just under 30 minutes long. Can anyone shed some light on what the actual problem is and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for the benefit of your experience

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the "Video Editing, Recording, Software & Hardware" forum section. :) I'm guessing that your computer's hard drive ran out of space. I'd check how much space is left on your hard drive, and perhaps try to remove some files to get the video to export. :)

Reactions: Crown

singinsammy

Reaction score
Thank you very much. My apologies for posting in the wrong place. I'll get the hang of it.

@KatyAdelson do you have an idea of how much disk space I need in comparison to the file I'm trying to upload? Like if the file is 100GB, do I need that much disk space, half as much, twice as much, etc?

You're right I didn't realize how full my computer had gotten. Looking into solutions

Many thanks

Reactions: KatyAdelson

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
If the file you are trying to export is 100 GB, then you need at least that much space + a little extra space for temporary files to come and go as programs need.

However, if you are directly uploading it to YouTube from your editing program, I'm not sure what the space requirements are -- I usually export the file first and upload it to YouTube separately. It's also important to note that the editing program file keeps a version with all of the clips + edits to the clips, and it's often much much larger than the final file. It could be that the editing program file is what is taking up all the computer's space (when it renders everything, it often makes the file bigger), and that the actual finished file is small in comparison.