Can we use any picture for Thumb nail without copyright strike?

the100yengamer

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I started to use custom thumbnails I find on internet. For example I am doing Dead Space 3 and found some cool wallpaper online, I add episode number to it and use them as custom thumbnail....will this get me in trouble? You can check them out at my channel, if my explanation is not clear.....

SaKenMadRaj

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
You will be fine if you use stuff relevant to the actual video... as long as you are not using getty images.. you tend to be fine..

lewl

Reaction score
As far as I know you can't get a copyright strike for a thumbnail but I would watch out for a community guidelines strike for misleading thumbnail though. Since your saying it's a ds3 wallpaper though you should be fine.

AreYouAwareBro

I check out your videos if you comment on mine!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
How are you guys so sure? I've thought about this issue as well and having been willing to test the limits with it

epiem

Achieve. Create. Inspire.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Because you can always change it. It doesn't get cached for more than 12 hours.
I haven't seen many things about it anyway.
I don't even know if you can get a strike for it, as long as it doesn't misrepresent your video.

For good practice, I would always say to do it as legit as possible....Try to get the rights.
If not, you are only hurting yourself in the end.

unknown_user00005

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Look at all the false information!!!!!!!!!!

READ YOUR TERMS AND CONDITIONS, It clearly states your thumbnails must be free of anyone elses copyrighted material.

Do not obtain legal advice on the internet.

Reactions: the100yengamer

Chef Kendra

Chef and Video Creator
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Has anyone here ever heard of someone or has anyone themselves, received a copyright strike from a thumbnail? If so please be kind enough to share your story? :)

Reactions: the100yengamer

the100yengamer

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Has anyone here ever heard of someone or has anyone themselves, received a copyright strike from a thumbnail? If so please be kind enough to share your story? :)
This will be great...I would also like to hear that! By they way I am going to change the thumbnail to be safe! Thanks for all the input