Bursting into Song

Omeo

Reaction score
Hey, guys.

I'm planning on launching a channel later this year and, although I don't want my channel to be gaming-focused, I DO plan on doing some gaming. Now, I'm the kind of person who randomly bursts into song when something reminds me of a song, so I can see myself doing that a lot when I'm playing a game, but I'm not sure if I should because I might get a copyright strike.

Now, I often watch some of my favorite Let's Players - the Game Grumps - and I've noticed that THEY sometimes burst into song. Most of the time, it doesn't seem to be an issue, but every once in a while, one of them will tell the other to stop singing because he's afraid they'll get a copyright strike. I don't know why it seems to be okay most of the time but sometimes isn't. I know they belong to a network, which probably allows them to use songs from certain artists or record labels, but I feel like that's not what makes the difference because I doubt either of them knows, on the fly, which artists and labels are okay and which are off limits.

So, what do you think? Is it okay to sing part of a song in your videos? I'm obviously not talking about doing a whole cover, but I might sing the entire chorus or an entire verse or MAYBE even a whole verse AND the chorus, but probably not. I feel like I've seen other YouTubers - who may or may not have belonged to any network - randomly burst into song without thinking about it and, as far as I know, none of them got into any trouble.

So, thoughts, anyone? Thanks, guys.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Technically, not allowed without the proper permissions.

Will you get caught or in trouble? Not likely, but the risk will always be there.

Worst case, your video is picked up and 3rd party claimed for your income. If you're lucky, you'll have the option to delete the offending section of audio, but that can get you mixed results.

Obviously the best option is not to do it, but I wouldn't worry too much if I were you... especially when you're just starting out.

Last edited:

DerpTheCowardlyMan

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
yea i would not risk it. YouTube does not take copyright lightly.