Big Youtubers make me feel HOPELESS

I find it such a funny interesting topic, and have thought about this a lot as well. I guess you just gotta hustle your way to a point where you are in a position to do collabs and get to know people through different media (also forums like the awesome YTtalk).
I do get discouraged sometimes because it often seems like no matter what exactly I try, the views & subs barely grow even with a lot of effort.
It's frustrating sometimes, but these days I mostly think of Youtube as an online portfolio more than anything else, because it's so hard to get noticed with the kind of content I make (travel shortfilms, travel vlogs, personal struggles/evolution talks) without resorting to just endless self-promo on other people's channels. And I do really enjoy making videos so much that I actually want to become a professional film maker and videographer, so in the end I don't mind too much anymore that my views aren't what I'd ideally love to get. :)

Yes it is soul crushing when you put 50 or more hours into a video and it gets one millionth of the views someone else has just by Turing on a camera and showing off what's in their fridge

Probably late on this threat, but why don't you do collabs with youtubers who have the same number of subs/viewers are you?
just keep doing what you enjoy and the views will come
Hey! It's been a while since this was posted so my opinions have changed slliiightly,
but still, I have tried to set up colabs but they never really pull through, I have a *kind of* niche style channel so I can't just do any old collab because it might not fit with my channel, and I'd like to collab wih someone I actually know or am friends with rather than saying 'hey, person I don't know, wanna collab?'
So yeah![DOUBLEPOST=1503757465,1503757449][/DOUBLEPOST]
My advice is that dont put too much pressure on yourself. Just let it grow naturally, when you are big enough, collab will surely come!

SInce this was posted I've started watching a LOT MORE YouTubers who are similar to me, smaller youtubers (under 100k) with similar interests and honestly it's given me so much inspiration and drive to make more content, I don't know why I didn't search for them sooner!
I'm trying to get out of the habit of making content that I think will get views, I want to make content that I think will make me happy, and it does!

Very good advice, thank you![DOUBLEPOST=1503757679][/DOUBLEPOST]
I find it such a funny interesting topic, and have thought about this a lot as well. I guess you just gotta hustle your way to a point where you are in a position to do collabs and get to know people through different media (also forums like the awesome YTtalk).
I do get discouraged sometimes because it often seems like no matter what exactly I try, the views & subs barely grow even with a lot of effort.
It's frustrating sometimes, but these days I mostly think of Youtube as an online portfolio more than anything else, because it's so hard to get noticed with the kind of content I make (travel shortfilms, travel vlogs, personal struggles/evolution talks) without resorting to just endless self-promo on other people's channels. And I do really enjoy making videos so much that I actually want to become a professional film maker and videographer, so in the end I don't mind too much anymore that my views aren't what I'd ideally love to get. :)

My opinions have changed since making this post, I'm definately less focused on trying to be like the 'bigs' and I've found YTers similar to what I am, and what I want so thats a lot better!
I do feel you on trying hard and getting nowhere, my channel is not that high-effort (haha oops) but I do try really hard with the content I do make, and after gaining 1-2 subs one month and losing them the next it can definitely get to you, but subscribers are (obviously) people with their own opinions and views so you can't really be mad about it!

That's awesome though, just keep doing what you're doing! Any channel has the chance to hit it big as long as your persistent[DOUBLEPOST=1503757745][/DOUBLEPOST]
I do wonder how many of the collabs on these forums (that collab section) actually do pan out? There's enough topics to help tons of small tubers assuming they actually happened.

Try pulling your friends into it, even if it's small cameos. If your channel is a one gal show, usually having a random someone else appear in one of your videos can spark something new to the channel, even if its a rare occurrence.

That's so true, I'd like to see the ones that worked out!

Not many of my friends know about my channel, I'm off to Uni next year so... Mmmmaybe I'll make a friend or two who are up for it? hahah who knows!

Back