Beware of people selling free templates

JadesGraphics

Well-Known Member
I just wanted to make a quick thread about this, as I have seen a huge number of people unfortunately get scammed by people doing this.

I've seen Twitter users tweet out they are selling gfx/graphic design work for really cheap and it ens up that they are using templates (both free and paid) and claiming they designed them when they stole them. It's even worse when I see that it's a free template that they could have downloaded for $0.

So my advice for people purchasing from designers is to always see their portfolio if they ever want to private message their portfolio they are 99% of the time scammers.

Another tip would be to YouTube free templates because most of the time you will see the more popular ones are the ones they are selling.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, not only have I had my templates stolen but I've seen people get scammed out of money when they could of got it for free.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RBG
Hate to be a downer but this is exactly why I don't make templates or give out PSDs.. The second you make your work public everyone and their mother wants to use and copy it.. With the billions of people on this planet its impossible to catch and stop everyone even with help.

The best way to protect yourself as a consumer/client is literally to hire a professional artist that actually knows what hes doing. Don't trust portfolios or what they say.. Ask to have a call with them and if they can't confidently chat with you about your design request and have an intelligent conversation with you about your brand and why something does or doesn't work, its time to find a different artist.
 
Sadly they could argue they brought "added value" by personalising it if they done at least something thus asking for money :/
 
Hate to be a downer but this is exactly why I don't make templates or give out PSDs.. The second you make your work public everyone and their mother wants to use and copy it.. With the billions of people on this planet its impossible to catch and stop everyone even with help.

The best way to protect yourself as a consumer/client is literally to hire a professional artist that actually knows what hes doing. Don't trust portfolios or what they say.. Ask to have a call with them and if they can't confidently chat with you about your design request and have an intelligent conversation with you about your brand and why something does or doesn't work, its time to find a different artist.

I, like some other youtubers I know make templates to help out the community, it's unavoidable I know that this is most likely to happen. It was more of a heads up to people who purchase graphic design work, it's awful that people are losing money and being ripped of.

I never give out my psds usually, unless it's for a template.[DOUBLEPOST=1456867912,1456867617][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hate to be a downer but this is exactly why I don't make templates or give out PSDs.. The second you make your work public everyone and their mother wants to use and copy it.. With the billions of people on this planet its impossible to catch and stop everyone even with help.

The best way to protect yourself as a consumer/client is literally to hire a professional artist that actually knows what hes doing. Don't trust portfolios or what they say.. Ask to have a call with them and if they can't confidently chat with you about your design request and have an intelligent conversation with you about your brand and why something does or doesn't work, its time to find a different artist.

Also hope the above message didn't sound like I was being rude to you, was just explaining why I make templates :)
 
I, like some other youtubers I know make templates to help out the community, it's unavoidable I know that this is most likely to happen. It was more of a heads up to people who purchase graphic design work, it's awful that people are losing money and being ripped of.

I never give out my psds usually, unless it's for a template.[DOUBLEPOST=1456867912,1456867617][/DOUBLEPOST]

Also hope the above message didn't sound like I was being rude to you, was just explaining why I make templates :)

To each their own. Just because I hate the idea of releasing my work doesn't mean others cant do it. I do believe it has a negative effect on the market and gives people using them a false feeling of skill causing them to ruin the reputation of actual artists.. That being said.. it also has its positives but I just don't get into it.
 
To each their own. Just because I hate the idea of releasing my work doesn't mean others cant do it. I do believe it has a negative effect on the market and gives people using them a false feeling of skill causing them to ruin the reputation of actual artists.. That being said.. it also has its positives but I just don't get into it.

I understand what you mean, but the sole purpose for templates are to help people who don't necessary have the skill or maybe the time to make a YouTube banner etc. I don't make templates as often as I used to at the moment as I focus more on my own personal and work projects now.
 
Back
Top