Best Live Streaming Solution for Mac?

Kevin Muldoon

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I decided to do a live stream today to see how it goes. It is something I would like to get right as it would allow me to interact with my audience (when I have one!) and it would allow me to quickly record certain types of videos. For example, if I want to talk about a news story and share my screen, a live stream is great for this.

Unfortunately, it didn't go as I had planned. I used OBS for Mac and the audio was out of sync by a second or so. You can view the video here to see how bad the audio was out of sync.

I downloaded the completed file from YouTube and opened it in Adobe Premiere Pro to see if I could fix it. I delayed audio by a second and it seemed fine initially, but after a minute or so the video and audio were out of sync again. This suggests the software is dropping frame rates and not handling streaming correctly.

From what I have read in their support forums, a lot of people are having the same problem so I don't think OBS is a good solution for live streaming.

Google Hangouts doesn't seem to be a great option either.

I have a Logitech c930e webcam that is capable of 1080p video and I have a Samson Q2U (Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB). Both seem capable of recording HD live events. Therefore, it is the software I need to figure out.

OBS is mentioned on YouTube's live streaming encoding page, but it is not verified by YouTube.

Five options are verified.
  • The YouTube gaming app for YouTube
  • The Elgato Game Capture HD60 capture device (£139.95 in the UK and it seems more suitable for gamers)
  • XSplit Broadcaster - Only available for Windows - free and premium options available
  • XSplit Gamecaster - More suited to gamers - free and premium options available but like Broadcaster, it is only available for Windows
  • Wirecast Play - A free watermark version is available. Only $9.99 to remove the watermark but this version is limited to one source and it's $279 for the better version
Does anyone here regularly do live streaming on YouTube?

I would love to hear what software you use for encoding and what your general setup is for live events :)

Kevin

James Strange

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have not seen anything that I was happy with. But YouTube Connect is coming soon.

Reactions: Kevin Muldoon

Kevin Muldoon

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Nice. I read an article about them launching an app to compete with Periscope but I wasn't really paying attention to it at the time.

I would definitely use that to do live streams. Could be simpler through a phone or tablet too.