Basic Setup Advice for Casual YouTube Filming

Chummy

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here :)

I'd like to think of a new setup for creating videos. Beforehand I was recording using my cheap phone's camera or a Logitech C270 Webcam.

I'm a musician and an audio guy and am not experienced with video equipment/setup. I did however a lot of research yet I feel I'm not sure yet as to what to go for.

My needs:

I only record in my own room/house. I don't need to hold a camera, or be mobile whatsoever. Just click shoot and film myself playing my intsruments (while I've got the Audio through my Mic> interface>DAW)
I don't need any fancy DSLR/Camcorder as I won't use it in any other context, nor I need to plenty of functions there.
I was thinking of buying a gooseneck clip style holder for my phone, I had one in the past and it proved okay but tedious since : 1) I can't see what I'm recording.. (no monitor), unless use android cam but that means I have to clip it
close enough to my PC which puts a limit on various potential clip on placements/angels in the room. 2) It's quite a task to do multiple takes from afar all the time, delete the last video, click record again, wait till the phone stops shaking, and hopefully I don't run out of GB space so get someone called to me in the middle.. In addition a Webcam has the big advantage of having a video monitor in the PC and it records straight to the PC as well where I do my audio editing later.
I would like to experiment with top down videos, when playing my digital piano. I actually managed before by duck-taping my C270 onto a microphone stand overhead. Inconvenient though, wonder if there's any way (paid of DYI) to improve upon that so I can "mount" a webcam in any angle or height (film when standing or sitting e,g).
Lastly I'm looking for something in Full HD (not 4K) like 1920/1080 and preferebly more than 30 FPS as both my Phone camera and the webcam do not handle movements inside the frame very well.
I have looked for several Webcams... logitech ones are so expensive now! the brio is an overkill with 4k, but lower rated cams feature narrow FoV or lower FPS in 1080p or just worse coloration I haven't found an alternative.

Thanks for all the help!
cheers! :p

Xarty

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
For a cheap camera I'd recommend Lumix FZ100/200
FZ300 has 4K

For the webcam I'd really recommend getting a Full HD Logitech C920. It has a 1/4" threading, so you could just buy a cheap mic stand tripod thingy and get an adapter, therefore screwing the webcam onto the stand.

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Sony a6600 = big battery, eye autofocus in video, selfie screen, mic port, interchangeable lenses, bigger sensor
Sony ZV-1 = compact, eye autofocus in video, selfie screen, mic port

Chummy

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. What would you choose between C 920 or C930e from Logitech? I've done some research and found that while both cameras are 1080p with 30 fps, the Logitech C930e has a wider field of view and slightly better quality of represantation.. However I did spot some people still recommened the c 920. Assuming I can order the 930 easily, any reason why shouldn't I and opt for the former? much obliged

Xarty

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
C920
Thank you for the replies. What would you choose between C 920 or C930e from Logitech? I've done some research and found that while both cameras are 1080p with 30 fps, the Logitech C930e has a wider field of view and slightly better quality of represantation.. However I did spot some people still recommened the c 920. Assuming I can order the 930 easily, any reason why shouldn't I and opt for the former? much obliged
Here's a video comparing C920 and C930e: