* AVOID THE TRAP - VITAL tip to gaming channels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Showing actual gameplay footage is legal and can be monetized as long as there is something 'educative' about it. So anything from a walktrough or a gameplay video. As long as you're constantly talking over it there is zero problem.

What you shouldn't do, however, is post entire trailers on your channel. The game company DOES own that and you will get flagged for it. It is okay to use trailers (or parts of a trailer) as long as you are doing something informative with it and (again) talking over it.

Good advise, although this is the path a few of my friends have taken to avoid that happening.

Upload gaming content while having monetization on and earning dat_yt_moneyz$$z
Once it begins to pickup, join a network like TGN/IGN or Machinima which have the rights/licenses to use the content that you are using in your videos. So that way you'll be able to use this content and put out some sweet videos as a small channel, grow with it as your subscribers begin to catch onto your regular content, then get partnership with one of these fast growing networks and you're good to go! :)

Showing actual gameplay footage is legal and can be monetized as long as there is something 'educative' about it. So anything from a walktrough or a gameplay video. As long as you're constantly talking over it there is zero problem.

What you shouldn't do, however, is post entire trailers on your channel. The game company DOES own that and you will get flagged for it. It is okay to use trailers (or parts of a trailer) as long as you are doing something informative with it and (again) talking over it.
That's correct, not only will they be un-monetized but your channel may result in a "good standing/copyright" strike and you'll NEVER get accepted into a network after that one, so best not to even go near those kinds of things.

Untill i am with a gaming network i dont monetize my videos i have only got it for the thumbnails and other things its not worth getting your channel shut down :)

I wish I would've saw this post, or heard someone say this when I first started my channel. And luckily I found out before it was too late...this should definitely be shared for all new gaming channels.

Thanks for the advice. I had some game videos that I'd monetized before I joined the forum. I've removed this now, :)

This is something I've learned recently, so feel it's imperative to spread to help you all.

If your videos include video game footage in- then you need to do is disable monetization on your account. If need more reason as to why, keep reading.

The problem

On your gaming channel you may find you can monetize your videos that have footage of a video game in, (most people jump at this and enable them)- while this is all well and good in the short run - in the long run it could cause some serious problems.
You DO NOT own the video game footage - although youtube allowing monetization on the video may make you think you do - you do not, the video game company still do.

Why does this matter?

Should you ever start to gain rapid popularity, or frequent viewers, youtube will take more notice of your channel, and when it comes to them considering you for partnership, they will then see that all along you have been monetizing videos with content that you do not own; thus, they will not only NOT partner you, but are likely to punish you via removing the videos, - or even your channel.

Unfair?

No, making money off of monetizing videos with content you do not own IS illegal, so it will be taken seriously by youtube- and they will do either or both of the above as stated, to avoid any legal involvement from the game companies.

How do I get round it?

If you don't care about money at all, then simply unmonetize your videos and continue as you were.
If you do want to earn off of videos that include gaming content, the ONLY way is to partner with a GAMING network, - these networks have all the licences and legal rights for you to monetize ALL gameplay videos, thus allowing you to be partnered and earn money.

My Advice

Unmonetize your videos immediately if they have gaming footage in, besides there is not alot to be earned at non-partnership stages anyway (and anything you do own is technically illegal).

Hope I've helped some of you here

...wow. that really opened my eyes. Thankfully, I am far from popular on YouTube, but I think all of my LP's are monetized, so I better go and fix that...
Thanks for the heads up!! I have little-to-no idea on how monetization works and what it does, so I'm glad to take the time to read this and better understand that I could be in serious trouble if I don't do something about my gaming videos.

Thanks a lot for this post!!

I have montage video in my channel (not monetized) and i dont speak in it and i also have music in it (well copyright free) and RPM said nothing to it and also no copyright issues from youtube.
It depends what publishers game it is. EA is very strict about that you make commentary, but Mojang/activision blizzard arent so strict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back