Audio problems.

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Hi,

Okay, so I used to do a cooking channel and the microphone I had for that was adequate for that. It was a wild improvement over the canons internal microphone anyway.

Its been a long, long while since I have done any YouTube stuff, but I got struck by an idea for a new channel a little while back and apparently the goblins in my head want me to run with it so here I am.

So I have a Takstar £20 microphone which gives a lot of bang for the buck, but its not really that good. I'm processing the audio with pulse effects (eq, compression and some deessing) but I think I'm falling short on quality for what is going to be a really, really audio focused channel.

So, I'm looking for some feed back on this technical-soon-to-be-deleted video, audio in particular. I know the webcam footage is pish.

Also, a little feed back on my actual voice. I might be deluding myself into thinking I can do this channel. I generally put my missus to sleep if I read to her. So, fresh eyes on that would be good.

If I'm very lucky, this might be the sort of channel you book mark at bedtime and it'll help you get to sleep - even if that's all my crappy voice can do, so be it, but I think it would require some sublime audio rather than this. (It sounded a lot better that naked mic input at one point, but I've lost objectivity in the process of trying to make it sound okay, I'm probably making it worse.)

There is a long way to go before I go with the channel. A lot of the obvious stuff I'll fix myself, will be looking into getting some voice help too. Its just that audio I can't tell about anymore.

TIA

@LandyVlad I shall be reading my own stuff. Original content. Mostly Scifi and Fantasy probably. Probably mostly Scifi really. So it might not be that good.

When Terry Pratchett lost the ability to write because, iirc, his hands were too arthritic, he switched to speech-to-text and he said it was a revelation, and that he wished he'd always made stories that way. So far its helped me to see lots of bad things about my writing, poor dialogue, awkward sentences, that kind of thing. There is a million other s**t things to discover though, and then I might actually be decent one day.

It's all a bit of fun really. I just want the audio to not hurt people's ears, and maybe get a few readers. I'm also a bit worried that youtube isn't the right platform because my channel would be completely audio based (though I have plans to do some more visual stuff, like in depth narrative structure and some writing theory later on, depending on the like/dislike ratio)

Cool, I'll have a look / listen when you have some stuff up - let me know.
(Oh I see a video there - haven't had a chance to watch the test video yet)

Do you write books or short stories or..?

You tube can work if you find art that you are allowed to use which is relevant,
Not in your field but "war stories with mark felton" is an audio-book channel have a look how he does it.

P.S. I LOVE Terry Pratchett (esp the Watch series).
Anyone with the right amount of marginal insanity does.
Those who don't like his writing are, frankly, wrong! :D

Back